In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(painful)(foot/muscle/finger) dolorido(muscle/finger/foot) adolorido(eye) irritado(lips) resecomy legs are sore — tengo las piernas doloridas / adoloridas
- I'm sore everywhere — me duele todo
- she has a sore throat — le duele la garganta
- it's good for a sore throat — es bueno para el dolor de garganta
- you touched on a sore spot there — pusiste el dedo en la llaga
- Potential side-effects include sensitivity of the teeth to hot and cold, a sore throat, tender gums and white patches on the gums.
- It's possible that one may get a low-grade fever, slight sore throat, or muscle aches in the 24 hours following a flu shot.
- After waking up with a sore throat, slight fever, and aches all over, I'm now realizing it's a good day to be sick.
- Topical pain relievers are creams, lotions, or sprays that you put on your skin to relieve pain from sore muscles and arthritis.
- In diphtheria, the throat is moderately sore, with tender cervical adenopathy.
- Common symptoms of the flu include headache, chills, a dry cough, aches and fever and a sore throat.
- I mean headache, sore throat, muscle ache, stomachache, fever, and all that good stuff.
- By Tuesday, your throat is sore, your joints ache and you feel lousy.
- My whole body was sore and my legs ached as I made my way to the cafeteria.
- Her entire body was soon sore as she managed to sit up, rubbing at her throbbing head, trying to massage her temples.
- A sore throat is excruciating, but when it is coupled with a fever and a headache and a clogged up nose, it is more than miserable.
- My body was still sore from the onslaught and I had not moved the few times I had woken.
- He winced slightly as pain shot from his sore ankle and into his knee.
- Every part of his body was sore, and he felt extremely exhausted, like he had been working non-stop for a week.
- It is known to help treat wounds, sore gums and throats and even acne.
- A sudden onset of high fever, headache, a transient body rash, a sore throat and cough are the first signs.
- Bobby felt quite a bit better the following morning, but his entire body was still sore.
- It usually focuses on specific areas of the body, such as sore joints or muscles, to improve mobility and reduce pain.
- Her whole body was sore, and she felt ready to go to bed.
- Some people also have a fever, a sore throat, deep tiredness and body aches.
2US informal(angry)to be sore at / with sb — estar picado con algn informal
- he got real sore at me — se picó muchísimo conmigo
3literary(great)enormeto be in sore need of sth — tener necesidad acuciante de algo
- He said the annual extravaganza, held in Aberystwyth, was in sore need of funds.
1llaga feminineúlcera femininea running/festering sore — (chronic problem) una herida abierta
- For the animals, they develop nasty, fluid-filled sores all over their bodies.
- You can use them to treat sores, bruises, cuts, boils and inflammatory skin conditions.
- So she was left alone, with her body full of sores, especially on her head.
- The water is completely polluted in all of these villages and the people have horrible sores on their bodies.
- In late summer this year, she was found wandering around South Milford, near Selby, covered in painful sores and having difficulty in breathing.
- The sores are sometimes very painful but generally heal in 1 to 2 weeks without scarring.
- Melphalan may cause nausea, vomiting diarrhea, and severe mucositis with painful mouth sores.
- Some women are missing limbs, some women have sores over their body.
- Peptic ulcers are open sores that develop on the inside lining of your stomach, upper small intestine or esophagus.
- Or you can mix 25 drops into 100 ml of hot water and gently apply to cuts, abrasions, sores and ulcers.
- One of the sores on her body had penetrated to the bone.
- Your partner could pass the infection to you even if there are no painful sores.
- Painful spots or blisters turn into open sores, which scab over and heal.
- There were open sores and wounds all over her body and she was hardly able to walk.
- After a few days, of course, the Avalyskians began to notice sores on their bodies and realized something was up.
- Children with Coxsackie virus may become dehydrated because mouth sores can make it painful to eat and drink.
- A mouth ulcer is a painful sore in the mouth on either the cheeks or gums.
- People generally try to avoid brown recluse spiders because their bites fester into painful sores.
- He had red sores all over his body, and his skin and hair was white.
- He was lean and muscular, but painful scars and sores ran across his body like tattoos.
1hartoand they were sore afraid — y sintieron un gran temor
- we were sore pressed to get the book out on time — tuvimos enormes dificultades para sacar el libro a tiempo
- And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them; and they were sore afraid.
- The men were sore afraid, but such was the confidence of Moses they were willing to follow him.
- I pounded on her door, and as I did I heard my own heart pounding, for I was sore afraid that someone might be up and after me.
- The eclipse started, the natives were sore afraid, and Columbus eventually agreed to ‘return the Moon’ in return for food.
- And such men were sore afraid for the sons of Kahn.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.