In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1caja de resonancia feminine
- The instrument typically consists of a set of 12 strings and a soundbox.
- The addition of the forepillar to the soundbox and string-arm greatly strengthened the instrument's structure, allowing the use of greater string tension and stiffer string materials.
- Unlike modern harps, the soundbox would have be hollowed out from a single piece of wood and finished with a thin panel to ‘seal’ the sound box.
- Originally, the soundbox of the charango was made from the shell of an armadillo, which gave it a unique sound and appearance.
- The double psaltery had two ranks of strings, one on either side of the soundbox.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.