In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sounding board, soundboard
- The soundboards are made of the finest wood and there is more hands-on work and design by the top craftspeople in the field.
- The piano's construction, with its longest strings and the majority of its soundboard in the lower register, makes bringing out soprano lines especially difficult.
- Frank once had me cut a piece of foam out and mount a Pignose amp on the harp of a Bosendorfer grand piano, pointing down to the soundboard in the piano.
- They began to construct the entire instrument out of wood, even the soundboards which were previously made with rawhide.
- Non-expanded polycarbonate struts under the soundboard provide the stiffness that is needed to withstand the tension from the strings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.