In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(origin, supply)fuente femininemy only source of income — mi única fuente de ingresos
- the source of infection — el foco de la infección
- to trace a problem to its source — encontrar el origen / la raíz de un problema
- before noun the source materials/documents — las fuentes
- source language — lengua de origen
- Fish is a key source of omega 3 oils which have health benefits particularly for the heart.
- Advances in physics and engineering are making energy from renewable sources increasingly affordable.
- There was a time long ago when books provided the main source of entertainment.
- Church and civil records are also a great source for those researching the family tree.
- We will be more prosperous and more secure when we are less dependent on foreign sources of energy.
- Mercury concentrates in large fish at the top of the food chain, but these fish are not used as the source of most fish oil.
- Stem cells can be obtained from alternative sources, such as adult bone marrow.
- It is not right for a physician to turn a research patient into a source of personal profit.
- Each of the millions of cars in the United States is potentially a source of air pollution.
- These swimmers could form a trust or charity making it easier to obtain money from other sources and to receive a grant from the council.
- The chief sources of phosphorus in river water are the weathering of rocks and the leaching out of fertilizers from agricultural land.
- The cleanest energy sources of electricity are solar panels and wind turbines, which are only starting to be used in Canada.
- Best results will be obtained when two protein sources are used in combination.
- The sun is a powerful source of electromagnetic energy.
- Glucose is the principal circulating sugar in the blood and the major energy source of the body.
- Seeds were obtained from various sources and greenhouse grown.
- Well, many of the foods you eat contain carbohydrates, which are used by your body as a source of energy.
- Extracting water from its sources originally required considerable effort.
- The villagers were not consulted, even though the river was their only source of water and they depended on the sago trees for food.
- These products are obtained from fairly traded sources, where producers are paid a fair price that covers production costs and a basic living wage.
1.2(of river)nacimiento masculine
- Lying at the head of the beautiful Eden Valley, the source of the River Eden can be found in the Mallerstang Valley to the south east of the town.
- He was also convinced that this lake contained the source of the River Nile, for which explorers had been searching for years.
- The quest for the source of the Niger river and the location of the fabled central African city of Timbuctoo were among their central preoccupations.
- The source of the river is a small dam in the Willem Conradie Park in Florida Hills.
- Neither the source of the Missouri River nor the Shoshones had been found.
- This spring is situated at the foot of the Banibal pass in the Pir Panjal range in Kashmir, and is said to be the source of the Jhelum River.
- He added that he had not been aware that so many rivers had their source on Drehid bog.
- The track follows the river to its source, traverses the Southern Alps and ends on the West Coast, south of Karamea.
- We could follow the entire sweep of the river, from the lower meanders upwards to the source of the tiny stream high in the glaciated peaks of the cordillera.
- They have issued a five-point plan for managing rivers from source to estuary in an integrated and sustainable way.
- We proceeded down a windy country road, following the River Chew towards its source.
- The pond is one of the sources of Shakujii River and used to be a place of annual pilgrimage for the rice-farmers living along its banks.
- The source of the river was over 8km away as the crow flies, and we had come prepared for a long trip.
- The trip back to the main highway follows the Buller River from its source at Lake Rotoiti to Kawatiri Junction.
- It led him to give up his business and embark on a series of perilous journeys into the heart of equatorial Africa to find the true source of that mighty river.
- They come from places far and wide to worship their ancestors at the source of the Ethiope River in Southern Nigeria.
- Johannesburg may not be built on a river or harbour, but its streams are the source of two of southern Africa's mightiest rivers.
- Kenya shares Lake Victoria, the largest lake in Africa and the main source of the Nile River, with Tanzania and Uganda.
- The terrace is watered by one of the sources of the River Jordan, a spring from a cool cave.
- Four days up the Amazon from the ocean, and more than another four days from the Andes where that river has its sources, lies the town of Manaus.
2.1(person)fuente femininepolice/government/reliable sources — fuentes policiales/gubernamentales/fidedignas
- Clinic staff may be seen as authoritative sources of prevention information.
- Informed sources, however, say it appears clear that the Commonwealth does have the power to subsume the state industrial relation systems.
- He rejected the proposal on the ground that such an important decision should not be governed by personal ambitions but by economic factors, informed sources say.
- Youth identified parents, friends and school as their most important sources of information on post-secondary education.
- Any information from our sources on that possibility and the fears U.S. officials obviously have about that possibility?
- It's also new territory for me to call up my former colleagues/friends as a reporter to interview them as sources with information about the lay-offs.
- Anonymous Egyptian police sources released information that they were seeking nine Pakistani suspects but this lead proved spurious.
- However, informed sources point out that any such individual arrangement with a firm would be regarded as a serious breach of the rules and could not be ignored.
- He also sent collaborators to the South in an attempt to obtain military information, the sources said.
- After his death, the BBC announced that he was the sole source of information in the report.
- A retired FBI agent was one of the authors' best sources of information.
- It was also alleged that he had been asked to provide information from police sources by senior activists.
- Also, why, and on whose authority, did unnamed police sources leak information to the press?
- He insists we were given no information by a Crown source other than its press officer, who did not provide the quotes in our article.
- The anonymous sources provided information as opposed to opinion.
- Informed sources said the financier has been sounded out to provide financial backing for a new bid.
- I had no reason to doubt the accuracy of the story or the information provided by my sources.
- A major housing and retail development complex is in the pipeline for the north of Carlow Town, informed sources told the paper this week.
- Beaver, who says he was passed the information by reliable military sources, says the equipment simply did not arrive in time.
- He also revealed sources had informed him two small attack jets had been flying together rather than the lone fighter indicated by earlier reports.
2.2(text, document)fuente feminine
- The book relies both on original research based on primary sources and on an impressive list of secondary sources.
- I used the book as my primary source and then I spent a lot of time observing women.
- A new emphasis will be placed on using primary documents as the source for research and discussion.
- Very occasionally there are links between documentary sources and the archaeological record.
- There are no citations, and the bibliography lists but 14 secondary and four primary sources.
- Written sources provide evidence of wall paintings in synagogues from medieval times, and the wooden synagogues of eastern Europe were richly decorated.
- Talbot has researched his subject masterfully, combining primary and secondary sources with great skill.
- It is based on sound research in archival and secondary sources.
- His work draws upon archival documents, published sources, and legal cases.
- This well-referenced book cites many quality sources and meaningful research.
- The acute dearth of primary sources or written documents left by the servants themselves in the colonial period acts as a stumbling block.
- The research is solidly based in published primary sources: books, pamphlets, and trial records.
- While researching a book, Barker goes straight to primary sources, favouring public records, diaries, letters.
- One of the books was a primary source on early Christian literature.
- History is based on evidence, sources and research.
- Finally, the book lists 3,000 other sources if you need further information.
- Entirely secondary, Topsell's research relies on sources like Aristotle, Pliny, Plutarch, and Strabo to build its account.
- Though Benton has done research in Spanish primary sources, most of the book is based on secondary material.
- These estimates are based on a massive and meticulous use of primary and secondary sources that are well documented in the volume.
- My friends always turned to me for help in figuring out how to document their sources for high school research papers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.