In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(wind) del sudeste(wind) del sureste
- The persistent heavy rain and south-easterly winds made thing very unpleasant for everyone, especially the first part of the day.
- The Turks and Caicos Islands, which stand at the south-easterly tip of the Bahamian archipelago, are the heads of huge limestone columns that rise from a 7000 ft depth of deep blue ocean, just cutting the water's surface.
- We are benefiting from a nice south-easterly wind blowing in from over the warm continent.
- Prospective purchasers will be impressed by the potential offered by the rear garden which measures 91 feet by 36 feet and has a south-easterly aspect.
- Within Plymouth Sound, the breakwater guarantees diving in all conditions apart from strong south and south-easterly winds.
- Strong south-easterly winds had created huge swells, but having travelled a long way to explore these gardens, we would not be defeated.
- It lives to the right-hand side of the arch as you come from a south-easterly direction.
- The south-easterly facing garden measures 212 feet by 82 feet and could easily house another property, subject to planning permission.
- They were heading in a south-easterly direction from New Orleans, Louisiana, following the Mississippi river towards the Gulf of Mexico.
- The barrier was closed by the authorities around noon on Monday after strong south-easterly winds and a high tide led to safety fears.
- With the aircraft at a height of about 320 ft on a south-easterly heading in fine weather, workers on the drilling rig heard a loud bang.
- This goes in a south-easterly direction and was used for horse racing in the 19th century.
- The fire began at about 3pm on Thursday and gradually spread in south-easterly winds.
- It was a hot, cloudless and humid day, 27 degrees centigrade, with a light south-easterly wind.
- The sea was rough and choppy, and a south-easterly wind, steadily on the increase, made the fishermen's task ever more dangerous.
- The 44-foot long and 54-foot wide lawned rear garden has a south-easterly orientation and is wonderfully private thanks to high perimeter hedging.
- These generally move in a south-easterly direction, and each one typically has a life span of several days.
- Most diving takes place on the north side due to the prevailing south-easterly winds, and most of the sites are within easy reach.
- The walks depart in a south-easterly direction to Mount Leinster, which, if the weather continues to remain fine will offer wonderful views of the Galtees, Slievenamon and the Wicklow Mountains.
- There was a fresh east, south-easterly wind which took me towards land.
1viento del sudeste masculinesureste masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.