In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(region) del sur(region) meridional(region) (invariable adjective) sur(country) del sur(country) meridionalthe southern areas of the country — las zonas sur / del sur / meridionales del país
- floods in southern Italy — inundaciones en el sur de Italia
- (in US) the southern states — los estados del sur
- southern Europe — Europa meridional
- the Southern Hemisphere — el hemisferio austral / sur
- the southern lights — la aurora austral
- Rescue crews were heading toward Margate, on the southern English coast, where they hoped to let the whale back out to sea.
- Travelling towards the southern city of Galle, one can see plenty of evidence of the lack of any reconstruction.
- The monastery of St. Naum is situated at the southern end of the lake, in the striking natural environment.
- In fact it is situated about halfway between Sommières and the southern coast of France.
- It spawns in the Indian Ocean south of Java and then migrates around Australia's southern coast.
- It wasn't until I got back home that I figured out what makes the southern coast unique, in this island at least.
- Singapore is situated at the southern tip of the Malay peninsula to which it is connected by a causeway carrying a road and railway.
- Along this portion of coast we have some of the most diverse and rich bird life on the southern African coast.
- A large number of new hotels are being built along the southern coast.
- At issue is a pocket of land at Recherche Bay on Tasmania's southern coast.
- We turned off the freeway into southern Nevada and on towards our final destination for the day, the town of Williams, Arizona.
- It has lost strength, but it's still on track to make landfall near the southern Texas coast.
- This too has been a cause of congestion as Market Street narrows towards its southern end.
- Agadir, on the Atlantic coast of southern Morocco, is a modern town of no particular distinction.
- It stands on a rocky shoreline on the southern coast of Gibraltar, just a few miles away from the African continent.
- This is the largest archaeological site in southern Iraq, situated east of the present course of the Euphrates.
- The dining hall went past my quarters towards the southern side of the building.
- Sheep once again graze the surrounding hillside and shiny new tractors work the fields near the southern coast.
- It juts out into the water like a finger pointing at the southern Maine coast.
- To the east lies the wild promontory of Portofino, whose southern coast is accessible only on foot or by sea.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.