In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- ‘This is my dear friend and sparring partner, Ketra Glang,’ sang Melena as she rested her head on the woman's shoulder.
- You can change settings so that your sparring partner just stands there, attacks or defends.
- They decided to take a quick break, and to switch sparring partners.
- Another bonus in having two cats, they can clean each other, chase each other, and they each have a sparring partner.
- Her sparring partner wasn't all that much either.
- Your daughter told me you were looking for a sparring partner well I just happen to be looking as well.
- The two sparring partners will be taking part in a three round comedy charity boxing bout, being encouraged from their corners by Amanda Holden and Vic Reeves.
- Sergio still wasn't as much of a fighter as should would have hoped for in a sparring partner, but he did manage to make things more interesting with his jabs and jokes.
- Roshoko was using Keno as a sparring partner, and Bayrie decided they needed a referee.
- I have not had a decent sparring partner for some time.
- Dennis Walker, her coach and trainer since she started, often tells her to use her greatest advantage - speed - instead of standing toe-to-toe with her sparring partners.
- Tyson's former sparring partner, Joe Egan, will also accompany him to York.
- There was no way he thought of me as anything else besides a sparring partner.
- Now reduced to working as a sparring partner in seedy gyms, he seems to be on the fast track to nowhere.
- Right now, it seems to me that you think of other people as sparring partners, partners in crime, or players in a game that you call ‘being honest.’
- Hakkana and Favian paired up for sparring partners.
- Taekwondo requires much more focus and control because you throw punches and kick at pads and sparring partners.
- They raised their eyebrows at one another as Master Lansong instructed them to choose sparring partners.
- Nobody else could be his sparring partner except me because I was the only one he trusted wouldn't hit him for real.
- In 1991, when recession gripped the U.S. economy, he started working on some private investigations with his best friend and karate sparring partner, who was in that line of work.
- Doherty frequently posts emotionally heated messages on his website about his sparring partner.
- If you're as cynical about marriage as I am, you're probably already aware how easily matrimonial bliss can deteriorate over time into a hideously spiteful and distrustful union of two diametrically opposed sparring partners.
- Deedes is magnanimous to his old sparring partner, deemed by some accounts to be ‘a successful novelist but a failed newspaper reporter’.
- Their chemistry and timing is always spot-on, and they are completely convincing not only as verbal sparring partners but also as a married couple.
2(in argument)antagonistacontrincantethey were old sparring partners — eran viejos antagonistas
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.