In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine avalanchamasculine aluviónmasculine torrentefeminine rachafeminine serieto be in (full) spate — estar crecido
- After a spate of attacks in March and April this year, bookmakers have become increasingly successful in fending off attacks.
- That night saw one of the most ferocious spates of rioting in living memory.
- Technology stocks took a fresh battering after a spate of US profit warnings spread gloom across world financial markets.
- This autumn has seen a spate of high-profile full stops, marked by greatest-hits collections and line-up changes.
- With greed left to take its course, a spate of scandals has erupted among foundations and charities.
- Emily the Labrador disappeared in London just hours after Britain learned of a spate of dog thefts up and down the country.
- It sparked a spate of letters - so many that we've started a discussion group
- The early twentieth century witnessed a spate of father-to-father advice books and a growing body of essays and articles written by and for fathers in popular magazines.
- Of the sudden spate of mother-daughter movies only one contains any real surprises
- A spate of viruses could force carriers to beef up their customer support staffs, which would drive up prices for all users.
- The proposal follows a spate of food thefts from fridges around the College.
- A spate of related movements tried to emulate his success.
- There's been a recent spate of intimidating text message cases brought up in court.
- As you all know, Mason Enterprises has been going through a spate of rough times as of late.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.