In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine huevafeminine huevasmasculine huevos
2derogatory, literary(human)prole feminine
- Large female pupfish can lay about 25 eggs per day and may spawn with different males each day.
- Although they are terrestrial creatures, these crabs descend to the sea to spawn, and their larvae live in salt water for a time.
- The fish were spawning so the rivers were well stocked.
- The female salmon spawns and then dies.
- They swim up river as far as 900 miles inland to spawn, then the young fish make their way back out to the open ocean where they mature.
- This migration towards saltwater, in order to spawn, occurs in all catadromous species.
- Males release more sperm when spawning with larger females.
- The males spawn with each female and exhibit no parental care - an extreme case of polygyny.
- Though some striped bass can spawn in fresh water and make their homes in salt water, there are many ‘stripers’ which remain landlocked.
- Goldburg says cod and other fish may spawn inside cages.
- It spawns in the Indian Ocean south of Java and then migrates around Australia's southern coast.
- Once one oyster begins spawning, the others, stimulated by the hormones released, also spawn.
- In the Delaware Bay area, the crab spawning population dropped from 1.2 million in 1990 to less than 500,000 in 1996.
- Other males spawn with females in groups.
- August is a good time to watch coral spawning.
- This large fish inhabits the Caspian and Black Seas, and it spawns in the rivers that constitute the drainage basins of these seas.
- It Migrates from salt water into coastal rivers to spawn in spring.
- Atlantic salmon spawn in October and November.
- Because of the way they spawn, and because of the way they recruit back onto the reef, there's really no way of reducing the population for more than one breeding season really.
- A female may also spawn with the same male in temporally discrete bouts.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.