In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1on spec — por si acaso
- I called on spec — la llamé por si acaso (estuviera)
- I wrote my first book on spec, sent it off to nearly 100 publishers and in six weeks I had my first offer.
- Bedfont Lakes Hotel was developed on spec near London's Heathrow Airport but designed specifically for its unique site.
- Byrnes designed this 5,400-square-foot house on spec using his family as theoretical homeowners.
- The article was being written on spec with no guarantee of publication.
- By developing a product on spec for military use, device companies can pave the way toward later success in the private sector.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.