In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(exceptional)(treatment/request/favor) especiala special offer — una oferta especial
- a special price — un precio especial / de ocasión
- I wear this dress only on special occasions — me pongo este vestido solo en ocasiones especiales
- There isn't anything special about him, except for the fact he's one of the richest men in town.
- However, the lack of special features make the village children sad.
- I may have been wrong: maybe this was going to be as special, just different.
- It seemed different, more special then the rest.
- She knew that he was making a special effort for her sake.
- He would not make any special effort to stay on my good side, beyond his normal dislike for conflict.
- The quality is exceptionally good, even though the special photopaper is expensive at about €5 for 10 sheets.
- These special circumstances consist of different things.
- She hadn't gone to any special effort to make herself look good for Akihiro.
- It takes a special effort to have an ISDN line put in.
- His normal breakfast had been average, but it would be no surprise to her if he made a special effort for his dream guest.
- She began to wonder why Jon was so special and different.
- As he experimented with special lenses and different exposures and paper, his photography became increasingly art-inspired.
- This woman is exceptional, she's special, she's extraordinary and I have great respect for her.
- She never wore the same clothes twice, except for a few special outfits.
- Coordinators made no special efforts to place department coworkers on the same team.
- As a school-age child, Swetha considered her special skills no different from any other extracurricular activity.
- We made a special effort to do a good performance.
- For boys considered special, different schools were created.
- Once an implant has been installed it can't be uninstalled again except with special equipment.
- We didn't do anything special, except get ready for Homecoming.
- This special collection is already remarkable for its scope and size, and it deserves our enthusiastic support.
- A tuxedo is something different and special, that will help you feel and look like a star.
- Make a special effort to create your own family legends.
- They all had their own special memories of different parts of the gardens.
- I was this unusual child that was special in my parents' eyes - plus I was very loving with them.
- This time it's special.
- Grandad and I have special food, at different times from other people.
- Nothing was special about today, except how bad it was.
- She sounds different and special and someone perfect for you.
- None of us had any special powers.
- I have no special talents, except being able to sing.
- She was nothing significant, nothing special, nothing exceptional.
- I had a special place, where no one ever knew about, except Emily.
2(for specific purpose)(instructions/fund/arrangements) especialspecial powers — poderes extraordinarios
- a special diet — una dieta especial
- a special edition — una edición / un número especial
- a special feature — (of product) una característica especial
- our special correspondent — nuestro enviado especial
- This occasion is a special honor and treat for me.
- Tomorrow's the first day of school, it's a special occasion.
- Resolution 1115 set up a special committee for this purpose.
- Asparagus is normally cooked, preferably by steaming in the special tall utensil designed for the purpose.
- It spoke of a special herb that was designed to cure any illness.
- High-heel shoes are probably one of the most favorite designs women choose for their special occasions.
- There was shelving filled with fine silverware and cutlery for the special occasions.
- Usually I didn't wear make - up, but tonight was a special occasion.
- General purpose home computers will gather dust as special purpose machines with cool designs and unbreakable software take over.
3(particular, individual)especialparticularI have no special reason for asking — no tengo ningún motivo en especial / en particular para preguntar
- my special interest is medieval poetry — me interesa especialmente / en especial / en particular la poesía medieval
- each contestant is tested on his special subject — se examina a cada concursante en el tema de su especialidad
- children with special needs — niños que requieren una atención diferenciada
- have you anybody special in mind? — ¿se te ocurre alguien en especial / en particular / en concreto?
- what are you doing tonight? — nothing special — ¿qué haces esta noche? — nada en especial / en particular
- Each character will have several special attacks which can be executed during battles
- Each character has special abilities that only they can contribute to continuing the story.
- Players can catch elemental monsters called Djinni that unleash special attacks and change character stats and class.
- This title belongs under that extra special list of films that are so bad they're good.
- Each character has plenty of special moves
- Efforts will be made to preserve the special character of the city.
- The special character of South Germany was expressed in the liberal subculture, which had lasting-power and prolonged success.
- Perhaps the special character of the place was signalled by ceremonial activities here about 7000 BC.
- Each title character possesses special abilities that come in handy depending on your style of play.
- Although in a boxing game story is of little importance, popular characters should receive special attention.
- Scripts are cryptic and are often hard to read due to the many special characters that have unique meanings within the language.
- There is a function in the game that slows down time temporarily and allows your character to perform special moves.
- Yuliana belongs to a special caste in classical ballet - she is a character dancer.
4(better than ordinary)today is a very special day for me — hoy es un día muy especial para mí
- a very special friend — un amigo muy querido
- please take special care of him — te pido encarecidamente que lo atiendas muy bien
- she's a very special person — es una persona extraordinaria
- he makes me feel special — me hace sentir muy apreciada
- what's so special about Steve? — ¿qué tiene Steve de especial?
1(train)tren especial masculine
2also special constable(in UK)
civil que en determinadas situaciones cumple tareas de policía
3(broadcast)programa especial masculine
4Journalismnúmero extraordinario masculine
5Cookingplato especial masculinethe chef's special — especialidad del día feminine
6(special offer)oferta especial feminineon special — de / en oferta
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.