In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Haunted Land takes us from pre-history to modern times, from Shamanism, through the wild hunt of Europe, to witches, werewolves and vampires and ends with road ghosts, spectral figures and phantom hitch-hikers.
- The night music of the third movement flickered with spectral glissandos and eerie harmonics.
- Is she scared of conducting a ghost walk on the busiest night of the spectral calendar?
- The headlights cast an eerie spectral glow on the thick glades, the ever-imposing wall of pine that kept the highway embalmed from time itself.
- It's brought the city welcome publicity hot on the spectral heels of the Ghost Festival.
- Present castle incumbent Peter Frost-Pennington is a stoic, sensible Scot, who likes to keep an open mind on spectral matters, but readily admits a recent flurry in phantom phenomena has been pretty good for business.
- Is there a spectral patron at The Sandrock?
1(of the spectrum)espectrala spectral color — un color del espectro solar / del iris
- The principal steps in obtaining the spectral transmittance of specimens from these pictures are as follows.
- The patterns to be copied and the blocks themselves are not finely detailed and the spectral differences between red and white sections are quite large.
- Little is known about this, but either or both of the quantity and spectral quality of light could conceivably be significant in various ways.
- A laser is the generator of intense coherent, electromagnetic radiation in the spectral range between ultra violet and infrared wavelengths.
- The duration of reflectance spectral acquisition was less than 1 second during which the light source of the bronchoscope was switched off.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.