In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But the movie is mostly about people seeing ghost images on TVs, seeing specters and electronics turning themselves on and off.
- I didn't know why, but the invisible specter made his presence more felt.
- They both sensed the spectre's presence at the same time.
- People love to be frightened by make-believe versions of the supernatural, such as ghost stories and vividly hideous specters that pop out of the dark.
- Of course, this scary apparition is a specter much more often cited than sighted.
- It was translucent and obviously a ghost or a close variation of a specter, bowing at the young scientist courteously.
- Only when memory is, like the narrator's in Kesey's novel, sufficiently dim, do the dead appear as specters and ghosts.
- In curing speech of specters and ghosts, analytical philosophy claims to cleanse the mind of a dreamy fondness for every sort of idealism, vitalism, Platonism, and transcendentalism.
- In such a light, psychology would be the science of the double, of specters, and every photograph a double exposure.
- When is the last time you played a ‘survival-horror’ game that featured specters, spirits, and ghosts as the main enemy?
- The two men led us in silence, moving like two specters from something out of a ghost story.
- It was as if I were following a hidden specter or ghost.
- As more people got into the accusation game, the stories became more bizarre, with accusers claiming, for example, to have seen the specters of witches and witnessed their deeds.
- He believes the spectre is the ghost of Pte Crowley, of the 11th North Devonshire Regiment.
- The train, with its dim lights, stood there like a monster spectre in the dark.
- The castle itself was haunted, and not just be family ghosts like the Manor, but by terrifying blood drenched spectres, ghouls and a poltergeist.
- The actress was forced to review her disbelief in ghosts when she saw a spectre at New York's Belasco Theater.
- A hunter of ghosts since his late teens, 35-year-old Taylor says interest in spooks, specters and other spiritual what-not is greater than ever.
- I searched the entire throne room, expecting to find a specter or ghost pop out at any second, and my imagination slowly took over reason.
- Earlier I compared the apparition of specters in Observe the Sons of Ulster to sequences of reverance in Macbeth and Hamlet.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.