In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Financeespecularto speculate in gold — especular en / con oro
- to speculate on the stock market — jugar a la bolsa
2(guess, conjecture)hacer conjeturasespecularto speculate on / about sth — hacer conjeturas / especular sobre algo
- O'Connor speculated that the funding ‘might lead to a greater focus on education, but we don't know now.’
- He speculated that Katherine therefore had fallen out of a shattered window, adding: ‘If she had been wearing a seatbelt, that wouldn't have happened.’
- Some speculated that it was, because there was limited evidence that another race had existed there once.
- Researchers speculated that organically grown plants are subject to more environmental challenges and therefore have stronger antioxidant defenses.
- He also speculated that she may have been killed somewhere else and dumped at the spot, between 2 am and 6.30 am.
- Some time ago, I speculated that I thought the information age would be a tool that would ultimately make it difficult for governments to justify war.
- Thompson speculated that this was probably the reason why Muskie had been acting so ‘erratic’ of late.
- But a lot of people speculated that that was the case.
- Ms Lee speculated that a library may be interested in purchasing the collection, with previous press reports suggesting the British Library.
- Some have speculated that it stems from the fact that most women are still regarded as outsiders in the corporate world, thus freeing them to do the right thing instead of the convenient thing.
- Some analysts have speculated that the ECB could cut interest rates soon to ward off damage to confidence and growth from tumbling share prices.
- Fischer speculated that the shifting social status of women during the war years stoked male anxiety about female bonding and independence from men.
- Orwell astutely speculated that ‘quite possibly that particular fashion will not last.’
- Cohen at first speculated that the attacker may have been ‘just blagging’ and that he was only visiting the area, but later admitted that this was unlikely.
- Another delegate speculated that the Governor's extensive scriptwriting experience in Hollywood inspired the phrase.
- Many court watchers speculated that Stewart was probably smarter than all the lawyers put together and could hold up very well on cross-examination.
- Andersen speculated that the amount would hover around $15,000.
- A lot of people speculated that the family was simply a prop.
- Oliver speculated that sometimes when people who are driven to succeed are placed under unbearable stress and can't bring themselves to quit, they do something that forces them to quit.
- Dr. Penney, in his evidence, speculated that the error was a typographical one.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.