In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1radar (fijo) masculinefotorradar masculine Chile
- The usual speed limits apply, but I did not see one speed camera in all of the miles I covered.
- A few days before the tragedy the Nissan was caught on a speed camera in Princess Parkway, near the Mersey Bank estate at Chorlton, heading towards the M56.
- The possibility of a speed camera was also discussed by the parish council, but members felt it could be difficult to get such a device up and running.
- Be careful when he abruptly becomes as obedient as a schoolboy in following the speed limit, by suddenly applying his brake upon sight of a speed camera.
- Now Natalie's parents say they are hopeful surveys currently being carried out by road safety officials on the road will prove it meets the criteria for the installation of a speed camera on the 30 mph road.
- A speed camera will only penalise drivers taking a chance to overtake a slow-moving vehicle if, during overtaking, they accidentally exceed the limit while passing as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Worse still, some may have been banned and lost their livelihood, all because of a ‘mistake’ about the siting of a speed camera.
- A new speed camera which had gone into service on the A6 near Clophill has been destroyed by fire, and arson is suspected.
- It behaves like a driver who only slows down when there's a speed camera in sight.
- In the past few months, a speed camera has been erected at the corner and the intersection has been altered.
- The days of the sneaky speed camera are over in Greater Manchester - today the location of every single camera in the area is revealed.
- One of the most obvious examples of this is that much-maligned, but increasingly common piece of street furniture, the speed camera.
- A decision will then be made as to whether the road fulfils the criteria for a speed camera.
- If you know there is a speed camera in a particular place, you will slow down.
- The council will not be satisfied until every road is either a 20 mph limit, has a speed hump or a speed camera, or all three!
- A new speed camera was cut down by a driver with a chainsaw before it had even been switched on.
- Suddenly he saw a speed camera at the side of the road, checked his speedometer and slammed his foot on the brake.
- ‘With the privatisation of speed cameras more motorists will be caught,’ said the source.
- Marked and unmarked police cars, a speed camera and police motorcyclists will combine to enforce the new restrictions.
- Statistically, uninsured drivers are a far more serious threat to road safety than those otherwise law-abiding motorists that are caught fractionally above the limit by a speed camera.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.