In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1velocidad máxima femininelímite de velocidad masculinea 60mph speed limit or speed limit of 60mph — una velocidad máxima / un límite de velocidad de 60 millas por hora
- to exceed / break the speed limit — sobrepasar la velocidad permitida / el límite de velocidad
- Motorists caught exceeding the speed limit will receive a fixed charge notice.
- Besides this, the police are also conducting regular checks to see if the motorists exceed the speed limit.
- On long journeys, a constant eye needs to be kept on the speedometer as it is too easy to exceed the speed limit.
- Councillors suggested these could include lowering the speed limit to 20 mph.
- He slammed on the accelerator and went way past the speed limit.
- It's a bit like being sold a Ferrari when everyone knows the speed limit is 40 mph.
- There was no way they were traveling even remotely close to the speed limit.
- Drivers are still speeding through the town well beyond the recommended speed limit.
- The significance of the speed limit is that it would tell the driver that this is an area in which he or she is at a particular level of risk.
- There has been considerable discussion in the national news over speed cameras and the enforcement of the speed limit.
- We made it home a few minutes later than usual, since I was driving a few miles under the speed limit.
- If you go to overtake another vehicle the chances are you will break the speed limit.
- He drove just short of the speed limit, his eyes focusing on the task ahead.
- He hopped into his car and drove as fast as he could, under the speed limit of course, to get to their store.
- The two motorcycles drove away from the building, going well over the speed limit.
- She knew she had been going three times the speed limit, and she had run several lights.
- There was a lot of local outrage when the speed limit on suburban roads in Perth was dropped to 50 kph.
- Giving her a mischievous look I increased the speed until we were going way over the speed limit.
- He was twenty miles over the speed limit, but desperate times called for desperate measures.
- Ms. Jones testified that she was traveling just below the speed limit of 80 kilometres per hour.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.