In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If you have your eyes glued to your speedo, your attention is taken away from other road users around you.
- At first this takes a bit of getting used to, having to glance left to keep an eye on the speedo, but soon becomes a natural driving movement.
- The needle of the speedo crept up to seventy five as he passed the van.
- The pros simply unscrew the instrument panel and set to work on the speedo with a screwdriver.
- My speedo was off said the calibration experts so although the Magistrate convicted me, I appealed and the Judge and the new prosecutor agreed with me.
- ‘Boat speedos are renowned for being inaccurate,’ said Mr Tatlock.
- The speedo in the middle of the dash and the rev counter in front of the steering wheel may bring flashbacks of times gone by, yet they fulfil their purpose in today's hectic world.
- Citroen have done away with the standard speedo and replaced it instead with a digital speedometer right in front of the driver.
- But I saw 175 on the speedo, and it was still climbing like a bat out of hell when I ran out of road and had to hit the brakes.
- The speedo rolled over to 101 just as I got to the village.
- The large middle dial combines a conventional tacho with a digital speedo enclosed.
- The speedo says 70 miles an hour, and the miles are ticking over slowly, but it feels like you're getting nowhere.
- Look closer and you'll notice the port and starboard navigation lights, and the knot meter lined up next to the speedo and rev counter on the dash.
- Inside there is a massive central rev counter and a speedo on the steering column (Australian regs required the pair reversed).
- The speedo is annoyingly marked 20, 40, 60, and 80 rather than highlighting British speed limits of 30, 50 and 70.
- A large central speedo with very easy-to-read figures is combined with rev counter and fuel/temp gauges.
- It hasn't even got a speedo, you didn't need one in those days but it is still legal now.
- The arched strip rev counter above the speedo fits in with the design but is hard to read when the sun is directed at the dash.
- And without cruise control you are constantly watching the speedo on the open road.
- Now I am obsessed with keeping both eyes on the speedo, driving everywhere in third gear.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.