- Then your brain tells your pelvic floor muscles to relax and your sphincter (the opening at the neck of your bladder) to open.
- It is girdled by the external anal sphincter, a striated muscle structure that is part of the pelvic floor musculature.
- This rapidly closes the duodenal sphincter to contain the stomach contents.
- This smooth muscle is the involuntary sphincter of the posterior urethra in the male.
- Anal manometry is performed to assess the anal sphincter, pelvic floor, and associated nerves.