In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(de ropa) centrifugadora feminine
- The crystals are separated from the syrup in machines known as centrifugals which work like giant spin dryers and separate the crystals from the syrup.
- My fellow recruits even put a dog into a spin dryer.
- They were primitive small cylinders, not hooked up to water pipes or drains, with no spin dryers or wringers.
- A washing machine may be bad not only because it has too little - as when there is no driving belt on the spin drier, but also because it has too much, as when someone has filled the interior with glue.
- A few sentences into his answer and he was looking rather puzzled despite himself, as I was now vibrating like a blancmange on a spin dryer.
- The wind buffets upwards; the effect is like being in a spin dryer and people coming out onto the platform say it reminds them of Kate Winslett on the bow of the Titanic.
- Watch out for the Waimea Bay shorebreak, a vicious, vertical whirlpool in which the occasional tourist - or suicidal body-boarder - is flung towards annihilation like a lost sock in a spin dryer.
- That job is left to the wardrobe department, aided by a couple of washing machines, a spin dryer and two tumble dryers, one of which is tall and cupboard like and on my visit contained a giant bright green furry ball.
- I loved to watch the water spilling from the pipe in the spin dryer back into the main wash.
- Other types of centrifuges were created in which spin dryers were used for filtering solids: a perforated drum was spun, driving any separated liquids to the outside where they were collected.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.