In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1Anatomycolumna (vertebral) feminineespina dorsal feminineto send a chill up / shivers down sb's spine — producirle escalofríos a algn
- the very idea sends shivers down my spine — me dan escalofríos de solo pensarlo
- a shiver ran down my spine — me dio un escalofrío
- One is a broken awl, probably made from the neural spine of a bison vertebra.
- Below the lumbar spine is the sacrum, which is actually five vertebrae fused into one bone.
- Cervical nerve roots exit the cervical spine through the intervertebral foramina between the vertebrae.
- By doing this, there is generally a lift of the rib cage and a straightening of the upper spine or cervical vertebra.
- I tore my dura, which is the wrap around my spine which holds in spinal fluid.
- The bones most likely to break as a result of osteoporosis are the hip, wrist and the vertebrae of the spine.
- The coccygeus is a small muscle of the pelvic diaphragm, which connects the ischial spine to the sacrum and the coccyx.
- It can result in spina bifida, where the bones of the spine do not completely enclose the spinal cord.
- For example, when a bony joint in the spine, called a vertebra, is out of place, it is called a vertebral subluxation.
- A leg press machine is ideal, if available, as the spine is supported and the exercise simulates functional activities.
- This applies to an abnormality of an intervertebral disc in the spine.
- A few other causes of low back pain are arthritis in the bones of your spine and narrowing of your spinal canal.
- Paget's disease most commonly affects your skull, spine and the bones in your arms, legs and pelvis.
- Occasionally some fibers arising from the scapular spine extend superficially over the surface of the muscle and end in the skin of the arm.
- Direct injury to the spine may cause a bone fracture anywhere along your vertebral column.
- It works the muscles of your lower and middle back, which support and extend your spine.
- From the skull extends the spine of the whale, and the hump of the whale rises above the larger vertebrae.
- The skull, spine and spinal movement, the pelvis, upper and lower legs and foot movements are examined.
- I had fractured two vertebrae in my upper spine between my shoulder blades.
- In addition to testing spinal motion in flexion, the standing child should be asked to extend the spine by bending backward.
1.2(of book)lomo masculine
- The books remained on the shelf, but their spines were broken.
- It is beautifully bound in half-leather, with richly gold-tooled spine and sumptuous marbled end-papers.
- She brought her piano from home and put it against one wall, right next to a bookshelf containing some board games, not far from shelves lined with books, their spines worn and inviting.
- Fitzsimmons moved his light around and saw that the blood was splattered over one of the shelves and ran in rivulets down spines of the books.
- The TV cabinet was a curbside find that Nan disguised with old book covers and spines to make it look like a bookcase.
- It's fantastic news which should put the rest of us who aspire to have our names on book spines to shame…
- The copyright page of my Random House Collegiate Dictionary, like the book's cover and spine, disappeared years ago.
- Yet the figurative illusion disappears when one peers under the glass shelves to read the spines of both Chinese and English books; then it is obvious these are not bodies, but books.
- On the very first visit as I browsed the shelves, the name Miklos Szentkuthy on the spine of a book caught my eye and brought a flood of memories.
- As she entered the waiting room, she noticed Adam standing by the bookcase, looking at the titles printed on the spines of the books.
- Their copies gleam shiny black and perfect, with uncracked spines, uncreased pages, and a redesigned cover.
- Yet its opulent, mouldering furnishings appear intact, its books look down from the shelves, their spines unspoiled but their pages crumbled by termites.
- She'd run her fingers gently over the book spines and read the titles he kept on the shelf above his writing desk.
- Skyway's trails are easy, and its northeastern section provides a dramatic view of the Book Cliffs, deeply eroded shale walls that resemble taupe book spines lined up on a shelf.
- Niko laughed at me when I ran my fingers across the book's spines and flipped through the pages in order to breathe in the scent of crisp parchment.
- It had been several minutes when Lara noticed Sasha's head turned sideways, reading the titles of the books on their spines.
- Another strange detail in the image is revealed through a close examination of the book spines on a shelf in the room, among which a single title is reversed.
- You may need to repair the spine and actual page bindings in order to install a new cover.
- Most packages contain two tapes within a box about the size of a book, arranged on bookstore shelves with the spine displaying the author and title.
- There's two stacks: one with bent spines and dull covers, the other with straight spines and shiny perfect covers.
2feminine púafeminine espina
- Moreover, the auxiliary spines project from the ventral spines at approximately the same angle.
- The fins have strong leading rays, which form a row of sharp spines along the dorsal fin.
- The dorsal and pectoral fins have hard spines whereas the other rays are soft like the anal and caudal fins.
- The sheath of thin bony plates extends beyond the head to form spines dorsally and ventrally.
- Bream have a needle sharp set of spines running through the dorsal fin similar to bass.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.