In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This was considered the first case of feline spongiform encephalopathy.
- Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, known as mad cow disease, surfaced in the UK in 1986 and has affected nearly 200,000 cattle.
- Later, more flock members tested positive for the disease - also known as ovine transmissible spongiform encephalopathy - and, by law, had to be destroyed.
- Like mad cow disease and CWD, CJD is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy that kills its victims by filling their brains with microscopic sponge-like holes.
- I've been reading up on Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE or commonly mad cow disease).
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.