In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cuchareta feminineespátula feminine
- The water birds hovering around the lake include pelicans, spoonbills, Egyptian geese and hammerkops.
- A crudely painted plywood sign showing bulbous ibis and spoonbills asks that you not disturb the birds.
- In winter, it's easy to see raptors, Oriental white stork, and white spoonbills.
- One month later, the two other spoonbills were released.
- Other wintering species include little egret, spoonbill, hen harrier, merlin, peregrine, green sandpiper and common sandpiper.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.