In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In her younger days Margaret was a keen sportswoman and played Camogie with her beloved Kilcarry.
- Just the tonic for a serious sportswoman like Marcella!
- The 30 per cent limit also applies to ‘professional’ sportsmen and sportswomen.
- Competition has been exceptionally high with the British adventurers competing against professional sportsmen and sportswomen from around the world.
- A sportswoman, Baker is somewhat of a celebrity.
- Historical figures, sportsmen and sportswomen, politicians, and intellectuals contribute to a common identity.
- Dozens of talented sportswomen turned up for the annual Girls' Football Funday which featured a football tournament involving 24 teams.
- I'm not much of a sportswoman, it is great that you have the chance to play whatever you like.
- Until the media learns to treat sportswomen with a little interest, we shall continue to have a dearth of role models.
- Mothers of sportsmen and sportswomen play an enormously important role in the sporting lives of their offspring and yet, very often, that contribution is unrecognised.
- And in accordance with tradition, I call upon the sportsmen and sportswomen of the Commonwealth to assemble in four years time in Melbourne, Australia, to celebrate the 18th Games.
- Childbirth usually meant the end of a sportswoman's career, no matter what sport, in that era.
- That Rowell is a remarkable sportswoman is undeniable.
- Politicians, writers, sportswomen, actors and personalities have all contributed footwear to the auction.
- She is also a keen sportswoman and plays soccer and Gaelic football.
- Another knee problem that has been observed in sportswomen is a higher incidence of anterior cruciate ligament injuries.
- She sought sponsorship in order to further her aims as a sportswoman.
- Sportsmen and sportswomen everywhere know that an ice pack can reduce the pain and swelling of a soft tissue injury.
- Sportsmen and sportswomen, and clubs and associations, need to be mindful of this.
- Sportsmen and sportswomen climbed into the trees, filling hats and bags.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.