In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1vela tarquina femininevela de abanico feminine
- It is also fitted with two small masts rigged with spritsails, a sailing rig that is still used by Thames sailing barges today.
- She was given a tall mizzen mast, with a large gaff sail, well forward of the wheel and a smaller spritsail.
- Three sails are carried on the bowsprit along with the spritsail that hangs from the spritsail yard.
- The spritsail flapped emptily and the boat righted to an even keel, causing the two men swiftly to change position.
- Sails named for parts of the ship include gaff sails, jib-headed sails, spritsails, and lateen and lugsails.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.