In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She looked like she had just stepped out of a square dance, boots and all.
- We wanted to do a square dance too but we couldn't find a caller.
- At a dude ranch, you can enjoy home cooked meals, cookouts, wagon rides, fishing, and square dances.
- Once a year, they close the place down and have a square dance in the main street.
- More than half the states have designated a state dance or folk dance, and it is the same one, the square dance.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.