In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There are many other bulbs you can plant to brighten your spring, but daffodils are simple, they multiply and the squirrels and other rodents don't seem to like the taste very well.
- My upstairs neighbor in my fourplex apartment has started feeding a squirrel peanuts.
- Small rodents, such as hamsters, squirrels, chipmunks, mice, and rabbits, do not typically carry rabies.
- With its stained cedar siding and peeling paint, it remained standing for five decades as field mice and squirrels occasionally ran along the pipes in the corridors.
- The raccoons made it through the long winter as their nightly raids on our bird feeders attest, and we all know that nothing gets the best of the squirrels and chipmunks!
- Boreal Owls prey on small mammals, including voles, mice, and small squirrels.
- There were squirrels everywhere in the park, with their bushy tails and all, nibbling on chestnuts fallen from the trees.
- To keep squirrels, chipmunks and moles away, add human hair from your hairdresser or bloodmeal to the planting hole when planting.
- I therefore abandoned my picnic lunch and watched birds and squirrels feeding on a slab of Christmas cake and lots of sandwiches.
- The ability of squirrels to harvest seed crops before they fall to the ground may make them less sensitive to species interactions on the forest floor.
- If we don't finish off the pancakes I can feed them to the squirrels.
- Lynx feed on squirrels, birds and other small prey, but snowshoe hares are the mainstays of their diet.
- The sweet nut within the acorns is coveted by songbirds, ground birds, small mammals like squirrels and chipmunks, and even deer.
- Tree-dwelling squirrels have lovely bushy tails, and we realised that the little ones, from the look of them, were also from one such splendid family line.
- Through time, a variety of animals will burrow into it and use it for nesting - animals like skunks, squirrels and small rodents.
- There in the branches, also motionless, also fixed in attention, is a gray-brown squirrel with a tail so long and so absolutely pure pure white it's wonderful.
- The chestnuts nourished the locals and their livestock, provided cash from their sale to big cities by the box car, and fed such game species as bears, deer, squirrels, and turkeys.
- The squirrels fed out of her hands, the deer walked by her side, and every tree seemed to bow as she passed beneath it.
- From North America came squirrels and raccoons, bears and bison, eagles and an elk.
- Children keep trying to feed the squirrels, but have yet to learn that you should not go to them, let them come to you.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.