In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The report also argues that as the number of different drugs taken by young people increases, the more likely it is that they will be carrying a weapon - the implication being that more drugs equals more knives which equals more stabbings.
- Such crimes as assault, rape, and burglary are rare, but kidnappings, stabbings, and homicides frequently occur in the criminal world of the competing triads.
- Another unenviable record is the 19 stabbings that occurred at a gig in Boston, although they were not a reaction to the band's music but the result of a nutter running amok through the crowd.
- On any given night, the two cops will respond to gunfights, stabbings, thefts and family fights.
- He is rather confused and mistaken - it must have been the sight of all those stabbings, savage beatings and violence that is getting to him.
- Incidents such as stabbings and violent crime, often induced by influences like drugs or alcohol, are unacceptable and the police have a responsibility to deal with this.
- Renaissance paintings showed the blood or lopped heads of martyrs; Shakespeare's tragedies typically concluded with swordplay and stabbings.
- An editorial in the May 28 issue of the prestigious British Medical Journal calls for banning the sale of kitchen knives, in order to reduce fatal stabbings.
- There was just one shooting and two instances of stabbings and I would not say that is mass violence.
- Politicians demanded tough action against knife crime yesterday after a wave of stabbings left two men dead and four seriously injured.
- These murders, shootings and stabbings are all about drugs and the proceeds of crime.
- There have been reports of recent attempted kidnappings, muggings and stabbings.
- These range from stabbings to violent assaults so serious that some shopworkers are scared of actually going back on the shopfloor.
- A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.
- Criminal lawyers in Nunavut often deal with clients accused of rape, stabbings and violent assaults.
- Staff from York Dungeon will be joining forces with students from York College to dramatise the dangers of slips, trips, burns, cuts and stabbings in the kitchen.
- Detectives investigating the fatal stabbings of a married couple say it is vital they trace a new witness.
- But watching all the stabbings, murders, guns and violence that can be seen every night on prime time television elicits not even a whimper.
- A man was killed and five people were fighting for their lives today after a rampaging knifeman carried out a series of stabbings.
- A recent audit of Glasgow hospitals' accident and emergency departments showed that only half of stabbings were reported to police.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.