In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Major plans are now afoot to completely transform the Lower Lea Valley as the focus of London's 2012 Olympic bid, complete with sports stadia and athletes' village.
- At the final whistle, the whole stadium gave the players a standing ovation for top class football.
- Clusters of empty seats throughout the stadium were evidence that some had not overcome their disappointment.
- There are new disabled access paths into the stadium, new seats for carers and viewing restrictions have been removed.
- A result of the Taylor recommendations following the Hillsborough disaster was that football stadia should provide seating for all spectators.
- The stadiums of the clubs are great arenas where the teams play, and the game is fast and requires skill and passion.
- And in a related development, government says it has set the ball rolling for the construction of the three modern stadia ahead of the 2010 World Cup set for South Africa.
- More and more high schools are building larger and grander stadiums and gymnasiums.
- They grow up dreaming of hitting home runs in the Tokyo Dome and their own stadiums.
- A good competition with high standards of play will fill the stadiums.
- The battle hotted up from halfway as spectators in the stadium watched nervously on the giant screens.
- Now most stadiums, even Premiership stadiums hold about 30,000 people.
- Having conceded three goals in their own stadium, Celta Vigo have given themselves loads to do in the second leg.
- Anders Frisk blows his whistle for full time and the stadium erupts.
- Later this year, the international football governing authority FIFA will enforce a rule stating that games will have to be played in all-seater stadia with no temporary seating allowed.
- There's a real buzz around the stadium, a stadium where Brazil might be returning in a month's time for the final.
- We played in World Cup stadia every week and got the chance to visit a lot of different countries.
- In fact, it would be a fair point to state that mandatory seating in Premier League stadia has played a role in lessening trouble in the stands.
- The Olympic stadium follows a rise-and-fall pattern of stillness and intense activity.
- The stadium now has 5,000 amber and black seats in its main stand and a new concourse bar at the back.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.