In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Originally formed by a subterranean stream, then flooded by the sea, it is a rare opportunity to dive in salt water among stalactites and stalagmites.
- Calcite, or calcium carbonate, is the main constituent of limestone and of cave formations such as stalagmites and stalactites.
- When a stalactite or stalagmite is deposited it contains a large amount of uranium and no thorium because of differences in the chemical behaviour of these elements.
- Limestone dissolved by trickling water has formed both stalagmites and stalactites, and the beauty of the Cave is notable in its own right.
- The beautiful stalactite and stalagmite formations in the cave are a sight one would seldom get to see in a lifetime.
- Right below the stalactites, some stalagmites are forming.
- His sharp eyes listened to the drops of limestone water forming new stalactites and stalagmites.
- He collected a stalactite from an underwater cave.
- It is a fairytale world of weirdly shaped hills, as well as spectacular caverns of stalagmites and stalactites in endless shapes and forms.
- Our path is frequently obstructed by various cave things like stalactites, stalagmites, and blind butterbats.
- The caves also contain stalagmites and stalactites which can only be seen in limestone caves.
- She gazed at the stalactites and stalagmites lining the floors and ceiling of the cave.
- The largest developed limestone cave in Idaho, Minnetonka Cave offers a variety of stalactites and stalagmites within its walls.
- There were numerous pools of boiling lava, and stalactites and stalagmites joined to form crude natural columns.
- He was in a cave, stalactites and stalagmites all around him.
- A rough circle of stalactites and stalagmites dominated the centre of the cave, looking for all the world like a set of stone, needle-like teeth.
- In the caves there are marvellous stalactites and stalagmites, which must place these caves amongst the most beautiful in the world.
- Only the tops of a few mountains were left above water, and some of these became the Balearic Islands, with limestone caves full of stalagmites and stalactites.
- We had plenty of time to admire the water clarity, the stalactites and stalagmites and the view of trees framed by the entrance.
- Stalagmites rise from shelves in the side of the cave and stalactites drop to just clear of my head.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.