In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The caves also contain stalagmites and stalactites which can only be seen in limestone caves.
- A rough circle of stalactites and stalagmites dominated the centre of the cave, looking for all the world like a set of stone, needle-like teeth.
- Originally formed by a subterranean stream, then flooded by the sea, it is a rare opportunity to dive in salt water among stalactites and stalagmites.
- His sharp eyes listened to the drops of limestone water forming new stalactites and stalagmites.
- Only the tops of a few mountains were left above water, and some of these became the Balearic Islands, with limestone caves full of stalagmites and stalactites.
- Right below the stalactites, some stalagmites are forming.
- We had plenty of time to admire the water clarity, the stalactites and stalagmites and the view of trees framed by the entrance.
- Calcite, or calcium carbonate, is the main constituent of limestone and of cave formations such as stalagmites and stalactites.
- She gazed at the stalactites and stalagmites lining the floors and ceiling of the cave.
- In the caves there are marvellous stalactites and stalagmites, which must place these caves amongst the most beautiful in the world.
- He collected a stalactite from an underwater cave.
- When a stalactite or stalagmite is deposited it contains a large amount of uranium and no thorium because of differences in the chemical behaviour of these elements.
- He was in a cave, stalactites and stalagmites all around him.
- Stalagmites rise from shelves in the side of the cave and stalactites drop to just clear of my head.
- Our path is frequently obstructed by various cave things like stalactites, stalagmites, and blind butterbats.
- The beautiful stalactite and stalagmite formations in the cave are a sight one would seldom get to see in a lifetime.
- There were numerous pools of boiling lava, and stalactites and stalagmites joined to form crude natural columns.
- The largest developed limestone cave in Idaho, Minnetonka Cave offers a variety of stalactites and stalagmites within its walls.
- Limestone dissolved by trickling water has formed both stalagmites and stalactites, and the beauty of the Cave is notable in its own right.
- It is a fairytale world of weirdly shaped hills, as well as spectacular caverns of stalagmites and stalactites in endless shapes and forms.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.