In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(athlete/performer) (before noun) destacadothere are few standouts among this year's students — este año hay pocos alumnos que sobresalgan / (se) destaquen
- Meanwhile, back at the Empress, a string of standouts reminded us there's good Riesling to be found across the board.
- The rest of the large cast is uneven but there are several standouts.
- Other standouts in the cast include Morgan Freeman as Robin's newfound Moorish friend Azeem.
- Chillonometry feels like one of those early trip-hop comps, dubbed out in places, a little too jazzed and funky in others, with no real standouts at all.
- So leaving those obvious standouts aside, here are my picks for the best of 2003.
- Some of the younger participants were real standouts.
- An inspired pairing with Gerald Levert on the seductive ‘A Rose by Any Other Name,’ is one of many standouts.
- It was a solid speech without having any dramatic standouts.
- Give a gold star to any photo you love: it turns your favourites into visual standouts at a glance.
- None of the performers are individual standouts, but you've probably heard some of their other work.
- There aren't really any standouts on this disc like there are on Silver Side Up, but there are still a few gems that have never had the airplay they ought to.
- The most popular and influential stallions in the world will be represented and include such standouts as Storm Cat.
- There were clearly standouts in terms of talent, natural ability, comfort in their bodies and natural rhythms.
- Among the standouts are two divergent sets of pics by Mugen.
- Few singers have Bellamy's energy or vocal range, and standouts here include Screenager and their anthem, Muscle Museum.
- Other standouts include Eddie Kaye Thomas as the oddball Finch and, of course, Eugene Levy as Jim's ever intrusive father.
- I don't even know where to begin with the standouts for the night, since pretty much everything was fabulous.
- The salt-and-pepper shrimp and the chicken-abalone congee were standouts.
- There are no standouts here; every actor - new and seasoned - is spot-on.
- Real keeper Iker Casillas, one of their standouts this season, was asked for a revised view on the superior football league in Europe.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.