In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Were Heloise and Abelard just another pair of star-crossed lovers, consumed by a passion that was doomed to end in tragedy?
- ‘The history has been unfortunate but the history of humanity is full of star-crossed lovers who have found life difficult,’ he said.
- This classic tale of star-crossed lovers is performed in the open-air with the magnificent backdrop of Titchfield Abbey.
- But, star-crossed lovers as we are, fate has cruelly intervened and given us tickets for different days.
- Kathleen McAuliffe and Michael Rudder steal the show as the elderly star-crossed lovers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.