In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1estribor masculineto starboard — a estribor
- So, at that point, it appears the crew flooded the starboard side of the ship.
- The wreck lies on its starboard side, with the port railing uppermost at about 23m.
- A single point for pressure refueling is installed on the starboard side of the fuselage.
- He then entered the hull, which was still sitting on its starboard side.
- Northbound ships were of particular concern since they would have dredgers on their starboard side.
- The starboard side of the catamaran is no longer part of the destroyer.
- Hornblower stood on the starboard side aft, extending his glass to view the dot on the distant horizon.
- The dinette is along the starboard side and also converts to a berth.
- It shows the ship lying forlornly on her starboard side, almost completely capsized.
- The crewman on the starboard side had gotten clear when he noticed the aircraft moving.
- Two starboard lifts carry the aircraft from the hangar to the flight deck.
- There are a navigation station and a quarter berth aft along the port side, and galley aft on the starboard side.
- The captain turned the ship to the starboard side, bracing the crew for the rapids and falls ahead.
- Swimming up the stern will bring you onto the starboard side of the ship.
- The pilot and co-pilot/gunner sit side by side with the pilot on the starboard side.
- The bow rested on its starboard side, the port anchor still in place on the steel hull.
- Light enters through a large hole in the starboard side of the hull above.
- The excitement and thrill of this spectacular display of air power drew most of the crew to the starboard side.
- In attempting to close the bomb bay doors, the starboard side was found to be jammed.
- Because I was sitting on the starboard side, my body weight only added to the mix.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.