In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1iluminado por la luz de las estrellas
- This weekend I'm going travelling - to Christchurch on Saturday, then to Auckland on Sunday morning, and then back to the starlit capital Sunday night.
- Into the starlit night, foolish dreamers turn their gaze
- The year was ushered in by starlit skies, a bright silvery moon and biting cold.
- But when the sun goes down, those cloudless, starlit nights are the envy of astronomers around the world.
- Revel in the peace, the rivers and the starlit night as you rest for a hike tomorrow.
- The Crystal Palace was beautiful at night, with the starlit crystalline spires glowing a faint blue.
- The night was clear and starlit, making it feel more romantic than it I would have liked it.
- For example, if you want a romantic starlit night sky to be part of your wedding, rent a tent with a translucent ceiling.
- A thin crescent moon hung in starlit skies, giving off just enough light for him to see by.
- They couldn't see the beauty of a starlit night or a sunny day.
- With no street lights or industry, it offers unparalleled views of starlit skies.
- Candles were added in the 17th century to symbolise the starlit sky on the night of the nativity - before that, they were hung with paper roses and apples to honour Mary.
- Whereas Wagner tries to create a total work of art in this way, the king of Bavaria builds fairytale castles with all kinds of unreal touches, such as starlit skies for a bedroom.
- The couple were camped outside on a beautiful starlit night.
- She then gazed upwards into the starlit night sky that blanketed the heavens above.
- While we would often associate Beale Strand with leisurely walks at this time of the year, now as the night draws in on a starlit night you are likely to see people out with their telescopes exploring the sky.
- We headed out the door and into the starlit night.
- Then tens of thousands of Polaris customers and fans joined the fun at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds at Minneapolis for a party that ran all day Saturday and late into a warm starlit night.
- I imagined how this very township must have looked - that silent starlit night when the three Wise Men plodded along the silvery sands to greet the birth of a new born baby.
- The meal - an al fresco affair under a starlit sky - is a quintessentially Rajasthani affair.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.