In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the Stars and Stripes — la bandera de los EEUU
- Today, Americans have adopted the Stars and Stripes not so much as a symbol of defiance against an aggressor but as an emblem for their grief and mourning for what happened.
- Democrats and Republicans were praising Ronald Reagan because he had made it okay to fly the Stars and Stripes again.
- CNN, NBC and ABC all made great play of The Stars and Stripes being hoisted atop the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
- The Stars and Stripes would fly as it had flown the day before, and as it had under Clinton or Eisenhower.
- Right now, that is what the Stars and Stripes does for this country.
- Yesterday bouquets of lilies, pansies and white roses adorned its steps, flanked by a union flag and the Stars and Stripes.
- The picture of the Stars and Stripes being raised over Iwo Jima's Mount Suribachi made photographer Joe Rosenthal a household name after the war.
- When soldiers show up wearing the Stars and Stripes on their shoulders, people know what to expect.
- He took to wearing a Stars and Stripes pin in his lapel.
- The Stars and Stripes were raised over Texas, Oregon, California, and the Southwest.
- The Stars and Stripes was burnt in a dozen capital cities.
- Pledging allegiance to the Stars and Stripes has nothing to do with it.
- On the wall behind was hung the Union Jack and the Stars and Stripes.
- The protesters staged their own rituals by burning the Stars and Stripes.
- A plastic glass, plates, or paper napkins donning the Stars and Stripes add a festive mood.
- One marine wrapped his face in the Stars and Stripes.
- They know that not every fashionable young man wants to don a T-shirt with the Stars and Stripes.
- But come the resumption it was America and the Stars and Stripes that were flying high.
- He looked around, expecting to see the Stars and Stripes fluttering from a nearby roof but could see nothing, only that black ripple of a shadow dancing on the wall.
- Moments earlier, the Stars and Stripes was controversially burned in the middle of Oxford.
La bandera de EEUU. Sus cincuenta estrellas (stars) representan los cincuenta estados y las trece franjas horizontales representan las primeras colonias que constituyeron Estados Unidos en la época de la independencia. También recibe el nombre de Old Glory o Star-Spangled Banner - The Star-Spangled Banner
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.