In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Cookingentrada feminineprimer plato masculineentrante masculine Spain
- We spent the next 10 minutes trying to choose two starters and main courses - we usually share, having half of each other's dishes.
- They served the starters with the main course, knocked over bottles of beer, forgot the dessert menu and couldn't get the credit card machine to work for a while.
- Do I need to tell you that the last thing you want as a starter to your evening meal after a day of tropical heat is eggs Benedict?
- Even at buffet dinners, it is advisable to stick to the usual schedule of salads, soups, starters, main course and dessert.
- The variety of food is extremely wide - from salads, cold and hot starters and pizzas to main courses of lamb, pork, chicken, or fish.
- On our visit last week we threw caution to the wind and ordered nearly a meal's worth of starters.
- Serve them at tea time or as starters before meals.
- This one has mangos in all dishes from starters, soups to main course delicacies and desserts.
- We had delicious salad starters, followed by steak and chicken dishes and then divine chocolate puddings.
- TV chef Lesley Waters has been recruited to showcase a range of mouth-watering British recipes, including starters, main courses and puddings.
- To round off a quality meal, we also found that the puddings were a rarity - ones that lived up to the quality of the starters and main courses.
- It's not like your average menu of starters, main courses and puddings, where you can gauge how much of each to eat if you want to leave room for the rest.
- But there's nothing small about the menu, which changes every eight weeks: seven starters and seven main courses, plus a list of daily specials.
- Meanwhile, down in Pimlico, four starters, four main courses, two ice creams, three beers and a pot of tea came to £65 with tip.
- It offered the usual salads, starters, cooked meals, wines and rakias as well as a decent selection of seafood dishes at very good prices.
- Despite the flaws, there was enough expertise in the starters and second course to confirm that there is still a great deal of talent in the Balbirnie kitchen.
- So was the food, which consisted of three starters and a main course of three curries, pilau rice and two nan breads.
- The guests will enjoy a four-course meal that includes two starters of fresh asparagus and a seafood mix.
- Contestants will have one hour to create menus, which must include a seafood starter and seafood main course along with suggested accompanying wines.
- From finger foods and starters to main courses, pastry and puddings, he has produced a range of ingenious recipes to tempt even the most committed carnivore.
(official)juez de salida feminine
- ‘The starter held the race while the announcer told people I was retiring,’ said Hickman.
- As the starters signalled the first race a light rain signalled the wintry conditions at Munich's Olympic regatta course.
- Tarapore and Kapila even had the discomfiture of being fined five penalty points for jumping the starter's gun in the second race.
- At the second race, the starter didn't show up, and Sweeney's career as a flagman was launched.
(competitor)participante masculinecompetidor masculinecompetidora feminine
- Hendricks had been winless with 18 previous starters during the Del Mar meet.
- Four of the 12 listed starters were scratched as the race was contested over a turf course listed as soft.
- Shirttail is the only starter from five foals in the first crop of racing age of Shirttail Flying, who has also sired four yearlings.
- Susan Magnier's Reach for the Moon is the lone starter from the powerful Aidan O'Brien stable.
- Taiki Blizzard is the most recent Japanese-based starter in the Breeders' Cup Classic.
- Average starters remained the same from 2002 with 9.1 going to the gate this year.
- Same Day Blues is Same Day Delivery's first starter from 10 foals in his first crop of racing age.
- Frankel's other starter in the race, Stronach Stable's Milwaukee Brew, figures to be closing in deep stretch.
- He has sired one starter from two foals of racing age.
- Sir Spellbinder, a ten-year-old son of Time for a Change, has one other starter out of five foals in one crop of racing age.
- Paraneck Stable's former classic starter Griffinite has been retired due to a slight ligament strain in his left front leg.
- Hold That Tiger is the only one of O'Brien's potential starters to have raced in the United States this year.
- Freshman sire Canvas has sired one winner and one starter from 11 foals of racing age in his first crop.
- Worse still, every paper lists him as a definite starter in Sunday's game.
- Classic starters Pinpoint and Hal's Image finished sixth and seventh, respectively.
- Mullins says Mossy Greene is his only definite starter but that the two big names are ready to run and will reappear quite soon even if they don't make Clonmel.
- It also prompted Bailey to tout the filly, trained by Frank Brothers, as a possible starter in the Breeders' Cup Sprint.
- O'Brien also outlined plans with Racing Post for some of his other prominent starters in regards to the Breeders' Cup.
- She is the only starter from four foals of racing age in her sire's first crop.
- Sellers was injured when he was thrown from his mount, first-time starter Hike, before the afternoon's fifth race.
3(person)he was a slow/late starter at school — fue de desarrollo lento/tardío en el colegio
- He may have been a slow starter, but lately O'Shea has been surging forward.
- That's another way of saying she is a slow starter and sometimes even a no-starter.
- It will be interesting to see how Greer, traditionally a slow starter, responds to the long layoff.
- Throughout his career, he has always been a slow starter - but a great finisher.
- Despite the crowd's obvious enthusiasm, the gig was a slow starter.
- Like his good friend Henry he has been a slow starter although he remains confident of an upturn.
- As a professional footballer, Paul was a late starter.
- Maria had to come back from a set down against Ai Sugiyama, too, but that doesn't make her a slow starter.
- One of the things about being a slow starter is that you work a little harder.
- Arguello was usually a slow starter and Ismael was a very good counter puncher.
- I look forward to St Valentine's Day, partly because I was a late starter and never received any cards or presents until I met my partner nine years ago.
- A slow starter at the best of times, he kept missing good-length balls from the mighty Murtagh and Sampson.
- Favourite Ivan Denisovich was a slow starter, and could only finish fourth.
- He does however still drift in and out of games, whilst he seems to be a slow starter to each new season.
- Perhaps fortunately for Finley, he is usually a slow starter and thus is used to overcoming slumps.
- Johnson always has been a bit of a slow starter in terms of throwing out runners.
- Johnny wanted him to come out, but the staff said, you know, he's a slow starter.
- Throughout my whole career I've basically been a slow starter.
- Also a serious Palme d' Or contender, Chunhyang is a slow starter.
- After the best first round of his career by a champion who formerly had the reputation of being a slow starter, the only question was how long Brodie would last.
4Motor Vehiclesmotor de arranque masculine
- I grimaced, crossing my fingers and jabbing the starter button for the engine.
- However, concern over the starter motor stayed with them until the end of the rally.
- The hybrid's electric motor itself serves as the starter motor.
- The rocker switch was positioned to the left engine and the starter switch was engaged.
- This system is setup so that the driver, with foot on the brake, pushes the button once, and the starter cranks until the engine starts.
- From the darkened bar from which I dictate this missive, I can hear the starter engines revving up!
- What's needed is a new version of the automatic starter that replaced those antique car hand cranks.
- This meant that he had to get off the start line of stages five and six using just the starter motor.
- My car mechanic, recently working on my car's engine, struggled for an hour to remove the starter motor.
- She said they had hired Mr Moss to fix a starter motor on one of their fleet, a 50-seater 40 ft-long coach.
- The team had also lost time changing a starter motor, and then Dayton received a stop-and-go penalty for speeding in the pit lane.
- Retired bus driver Alan Liptrot, 66, was knocked down by the Skoda car as he used a piece of wire to start a faulty starter motor.
- When you turn the ignition key, the starter motor spins the engine a few revolutions so that the combustion process can start.
- Then the starter motor packed up, so from that point on I always parked on a hill so I could bump start it.
- Mysteriously, my starter motor failed whilst the car was with them too.
- About the most modern part of the electronics on the Morgan is the ignition key to connect the battery to the starter motor!
- On his return, I sat into the car, turned on the ignition and pulled the starter switch and the engine came to life immediately.
- The difference is there is a helicopter starter engine that always keeps the turbo spinning at high revs, and hence the power.
- It starts a combustion engine by igniting a fuel-air charge without engaging the starter motor.
- Mikes double stint was further delayed when a starter motor problem forced the team to push the car into the garage while the component was replaced.
5also starter cultureCooking Biology
- The traditional process of cheesemaking ensues when the bacteria in the starter culture begin growing by fermenting the lactose in the milk into lactic acid.
- It will also be valuable for natural cheeses, and if they want to know the starter culture.
- However, these counts may not accurately reflect probiotic content as they do not differentiate probiotic bacteria from starter culture bacteria such as S. thermophilus.
- With their understanding of the company, they were the starter culture, in Mackey's metaphor, launching the fermentation that would turn Columbus Circle into a true Whole Foods store.
- The first step is to add a starter culture to milk, and add to that a rennet coagulant, made from a calf's fourth stomach.
- The TBAK technology determines bacterial counts in cheese starter cultures in fewer than 10 minutes.
- ‘Where my gut feeling is, the important factors are proper starter culture, proper usage, and raw milk quality,’ says Reddy.
- To the company's intellectual property belongs also a collection of over 700 lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria isolated from ecologically pure regions of the country and over 100 various starter culture combinations.
- Fruit may contribute undesirable yeasts and bacteria to the yogurt, making it a poor starter culture.
- Let it cool to about 45 degrees and add yogurt starter culture, available at health food stores, or live culture yogurt from the grocery store.
- Strains are available for a range of desired properties; for instance, there are designated classes of cultures for use in cheese starter cultures, yogurt, milk, buttermilk and sour cream.
- The starter culture was diluted 1: 30 into fresh medium containing 100 M of IPTG.
- Then a starter culture of lactic streptococci and lactobacilli bacteria is added.
- The starter culture initiates the process, and begins the growth of the bacteria.
- Finding a suitable starter culture can at times be difficult.
- Oxygen is an especially important nutrient, which is supplied in large quantity during production of the yeast starter culture.
- ‘They're normal inhabitants of our gastrointestinal tracts; they're used as starter cultures in different cheeses in Egypt; and there are a lot of Enterococcus that enter our system,’ she says.
- The starter cultures generally are desirable bacteria that produce lactic acid, gas for eye development, flavor, color and texture, and give milk its consistency.
- After incubation at 37°C for 2 days, a single colony was picked and put into a 10 ml starter culture which also contained 20 g/ml chloramphenicol.
- A 10 mL starter culture (LB broth with 50 mg/mL carbenicillin) was inoculated from frozen stock and incubated overnight at 37°C with shaking.
cultivo de bacterias necesario para iniciar ciertos procesos de fermentación
6starter fertilizer — fertilizante de arranque masculine
- starter kit / pack — equipo básico (para principiantes)
- starter plant — planta para el jardinero novato
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.