In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cajones de salida masculinearrancadero automático masculine Mexicopartidor automático masculine Colombia
- The injury occurred when a Quarter Horse flipped in the starting gate with Stevens aboard, pinning his leg against the gate.
- With no overhead superstructure or tall end walls, the starting gate allows greater visibility for spectators, starters, horses and jockeys.
- Horses were nearing the starting gate for the fourth race when the mishap occurred.
- Homeister suffered a gash to her right knee and cuts to her lip when her mount, two-year-old filly Jolie Good, swerved out of the starting gate and crashed into the temporary rail.
- Jockey Rafael Bejarano was injured when Sadler's Charm flipped in the starting gate prior to the fifth race on Monday at Saratoga Race Course.
- A series of problems at the starting gate in his last several races indicated that the colt was a little sour, Baffert said, and he was given a break from racing.
- The cast are as wired as thoroughbreds at the starting gate for a big race.
- Jockey Ed Cervantes was injured and taken to a hospital on Tuesday when his mount flipped in the starting gate before the fourth race at Canterbury Park in Shakopee, Minnesota.
- Gray scrambled into the seat, gathered the reins, and controlled the team, as the terrified horses ran toward the starting gate and certain disaster.
- The British Jockey Club has drawn the ire of bettors by allowing the result of Monday's feature race at Epsom to stand despite several stalls in the starting gate opening late.
- The start of the race was delayed when Dance Daily, with John Velasquez in the saddle, banged her head through the starting gate and was scratched.
- Rakti's Achilles' heel has always been the starting gate.
- Jockey Darryll Holland has been aboard the bay horse for his last five starts and was particularly thrilled to hear his mount would be in the starting gate for the Turf.
- Freites complained of arm pain after being unseated when Local Forecast bumped a rival shortly after leaving the starting gate in the second race.
- Reed sustained the fatal injury while attempting to load three-year-old Okie River Girl into the starting gate before the fifth race on Saturday.
- Juarez suffered a slight cut on his right shin bone in the starting gate mishap and was taken to Loyola University Hospital Sports Clinic.
- The fracture, which resulted from the muscular exertion of leaving the starting gate, ruptured an internal blood vessel.
- Wydick was hurt when Jims Island Girl, her mount in the final race, reared up in the starting gate.
- Mandella speculated that Pleasantly Perfect injured himself when he kicked the starting gate prior to the race.
- The daughter of Dixieland Heat shot from the starting gate that afternoon and set the pace before being outdueled by a half-length by Squirtle Squirt.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.