In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1estadista masculinehombre de estado masculine
- The statesmen and foreign dignitaries have departed - but the World Summit show is not quite over.
- The two statesmen signed an agreement to establish a bi-national commission between South Africa and Brazil.
- He called for more effort on the part of all statesmen, politicians and church leaders to resolve the schism in the Orthodox church.
- Now the attempt is being made to present him as a political statesman and martyr.
- Minor world leaders get to be statesmen for a day, and tell their parliaments and electors that they are taking part in a world summit.
- Northcliffe travelled widely and consorted freely with statesmen and politicians not to mention royalty.
- He would like to see state and federal elected officials become statesmen not politicians.
- A politician thinks of the next race, a statesman of the next generation.
- Not only politicians and statesmen have the opportunity to practice creative speech.
- An extraordinary spiritual leader and a courageous statesman is no more.
- It's the outlaws and rebels that history often prefers to remember rather than the statesmen and leaders.
- From now on, our leaders, our politicians, our statesmen will be fair game too.
- For these are times when we expect our politicians to metamorphose into statesmen.
- Responsible statesmen and stateswomen are not merely free, as sovereign rulers, to act in an expedient way.
- The difference between a politician and a statesman is the degree of common sense and courage shown in difficult times.
- He frequently dined out and, over the years, entertained a great variety of guests, from fellow impressionist artists to statesmen.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.