In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(category, situation)member status — categoría de socio feminine
- the status of women — la condición jurídica y social de las mujeres
- what's his legal status? — ¿cuál es su situación legal?
- this will has no legal status — este testamento no tiene validez
- the group has no official status — el grupo no está oficialmente reconocido como tal
- before noun status inquiry — consulta de situación financiera
1.2social statusposición social feminineestatus masculine
1.3(kudos)estatus masculineprestigio masculinestanding masculine
- She said the status would also help boost the school's health and social care vocational work.
- I watched him grow through college and Minor ranks to Senior star status over the years.
- Among some southern tribes, the number of cattle a family owns is a sign of wealth and status.
- Automobiles are difficult to obtain, and the ownership of a car is a symbol of wealth and high status.
- No points for guessing but this committee too is headed by Sonia, who enjoys Cabinet status.
- Social status and political power would be nice, but being able to eat and live are more important.
- Cheran enjoyed his new found status as an actor as fans mobbed him everywhere.
- They were obviously very luxurious, and ownership implied great wealth and status.
- They were given power, wealth, office and status on condition that they kept the peace and adopted Roman ways.
- Individuals in the old regime were intensely concerned with questions of status and rank.
- Even in a community steeped in wealth and status, the Tanners were a distinguished clan.
- In our country, we seem to have an innate resistance to thinking of business as a route to wealth or status.
- On the one hand, it was a powerful tool to enhance or sustain personal and corporate power, wealth, and status.
- She had never been able to accept the notion of marrying for wealth or for status.
- Most of them don't come from wealthy or influential families or have wealth or status in their own right.
- There appears to be a growing percentage enjoying an upper class status in South Africa.
- Years after his fighting days he continued to enjoy legendary status in Latin America.
- The quantity of grave goods varied, suggesting that rank and status were represented in death.
- They had to be waited on hand and foot and the size of their household was a barometer of wealth and status.
- Many observers noted that this system worked only as long as the officer enjoyed high social status.
2(state, condition)situación femininebefore noun status meeting — reunión de seguimiento feminine
- The new system involved a division of labour which accentuated differences and tension between high and lower status employees.
- Access to city spaces should be guaranteed by virtue of citizenship, but it is increasingly becoming a privilege conferred by status.
- In human societies, as in primate groups, lower status means less personal control.
- We also asked about their parents' relationship statuses.
- While recent research on social capital has emphasized the importance of social ties that bridge heterogeneous groups and statuses, these results suggest that religion may be wanting in this respect.
- When the husband dies the widow often loses her position in society as well as her legal status and financial support.
- As he points out, winning a major wasn't easy for a British professional of his status.
- Further, in this research, gender differences in relation to identity statuses were explored on the composite identity scores.
- He added that an update on the status of the open source trials is expected at around the same time.
- It allows the battalion signal officer to fully manage the services within their battalion and report statuses to the brigade signal officer.
- Competition for college places is shrinking the advantage that legacy status confers.
- The Iceni revolted and were put down by force: the true status of the client kingdoms had now been made plain.
- The status field tells you whether the bill has been paid, is pending or is in dispute.
- The fact that the pair are star athletes has led some to claim that the investigation into their alleged crimes was somehow hampered by their status in the community, a claim denied by local police.
- Deloitte and Touche publish an annual report on the financial status of the British game.
- The goal of this brief review is to provide an update on the current status of the research on psyllium and health.
- The feature is particularly good for information such as weather reports where you only want the latest status.
- When not sitting in a dark room, I devise ways of eating and drinking in fancy hotel restaurants for free, a pursuit hampered by my lowly status among the global press corps and my inability to introduce people to anybody famous or rich.
- The SHB annual report also reveals the status of a number of capital projects in the county.
- The armed forces consisted largely of amateur, part-time soldiers, and social and political statuses within a community were tied to military roles.
- These relative statuses may reflect an individual's age, gender, or social role or may reflect relationships among different social institutions.
- A spokesman for Aberdeen also refused to shed any light on the status of the bidding process.
- She toyed with them incessantly as she typed up the daily status and safety reports.
- This clarifies the status of certain MEAs, but does not provide a process for the approval of future MEAs.
- Their protected status means that marine life will continue to thrive and conditions will improve in both rivers.
- Kindly bear with us for another 2 working days and I can assure you that we will surely update you with the status.
- Too often, however, the chair of an academic meeting is determined by status rather than skill.
- We need to look at the social conventions governing the status of the creator of an image or artefact.
- The Status Board provides a 30 second update of the status of each Challenge team.
- Research has shown that the statuses vary along a number of important social and personal dimensions.
- Should educational status determine the ability to row in a particular class of racing?
- These primal, foundational accounts describe aspects of the real, experienced world and humanity's role and relative statuses within it.
- You are a person who can make friends in the highest social categories as well as with persons of an inferior status.
- What is the status of professional codes of ethics relative to federal regulations?
- As described earlier the identity statuses are defined in terms of process, not content, variables.
- I want regular reports on our status, and the legions are to be kept on constant alert.
- The hospitals were not named publicly in last year's report but were individually informed of their status.
- What is reported by journalists rapidly acquires the status of truth, whether or not it has actually happened.
- Allows facilities managers to fully control and report on the status of all parts, suppliers and equipment.
- Updates on the health status of the injured were not returned as of press time.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.