In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Watching events unfold on television Katie said that her immediate thoughts were for her stepbrother.
- Plus, his mom and dad are divorced, so he has 2 stepsisters and 3 stepbrothers, plus another ½ sister.
- She noticed her two stepbrothers at the big, cherry oak table, eating pancakes.
- Such friends as she has live a considerable distance from Plumstead, although she does have two stepbrothers who live not too far away.
- Helen's memories of long ago are interrupted by her annoying stepbrother when he decides to end his eavesdropping in favor of chocolate cake.
- Carolyn leaves behind two brothers and a stepbrother, who were last night said to be totally devastated.
- There were reasons for his behaviour: a stepbrother died, his sister was killed in a train crash, his parents broke up and so, recently, did his own marriage.
- How could I forget the fact that Matt and Chris were stepbrothers and probably knew more about each other than they'd ever admit?
- It should be appreciated that brothers, sisters, stepbrothers and stepsisters are not entitled to any share of the inheritance when children and parents of the deceased are alive.
- The two had been stepbrothers only for a brief while, but had instantly bonded after growing up in unstable families.
- If so, realize your stepbrother has to adjust to this new family too.
- It is estimated that by 2010 there will be more stepfamilies in the UK than biological families and this programme will look specifically at the relationships between stepbrothers and stepsisters.
- You are still my stepbrother, and I know things about you that our mother doesn't even know.
- I would like to believe in a world in which rival lovers of the same guy are happily reconciled, stepbrothers instantly bond and the local council is represented by a smiling bureaucrat, but I find it difficult.
- In 1963, he left the store to be run by his stepbrothers and opened a new shop on St Aubyn Street.
- I have about eight stepsisters and stepbrothers, for a variety of reasons.
- To Paul's relief, his dad had told all his family - including Paul's four stepsisters and two stepbrothers - about his son in England, and they were all thrilled.
- While catching up on some of my favorite sites, I read the following on Melanie's site about her stepbrother.
- And yes, this sort of made Jason her stepbrother in both marriages.
- But my stepbrother and I are named as equal beneficiaries of my father's estate.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.