In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He was born and raised in Edinburgh, later discovering that the man he had known as his father was his stepfather.
- As noted above, previous research suggests that fathers and stepfathers can, among other benefits, provide mentoring and work-related networks, and act as role models.
- He experienced a deeply weird upbringing, living with his mother and many stepfathers in a run-down trailer.
- She only knew that she had to get away; from her stepfather, her mother, from Sam.
- Children of divorced parents are compelled to use their biological father's surnames, even if they live with stepfathers with different last names.
- How did your mother react to the fact that you and your stepfather didn't get along?
- She wasn't aware of missing a father figure, although her stepfather later became an important part of her life.
- He had a positive relationship with his stepfather, although the longing for his real father never abated.
- We exclude other types of fathers, such as stepfathers and social fathers, because the patterns of investment in and relationship to children of these men can be different from those of biological fathers.
- My strength is large animals - my mother and my stepfather were farmers, and I used to work at a livery.
- Caroline never met her stepfather and her mother would never hear her voice again.
- She did remarry a wonderful man who was a super stepfather to us.
- The parents in four families were cohabiting, and stepfathers headed seven families.
- Gorky's mother remarried but the stepfather was as bestial as the rest of the family.
- Researchers interviewed all 162 children (initially at an average age of eight and a half) about their relationship with their mothers, fathers and stepfathers.
- Like the above author I also grew up in a household where my stepfather abused my mother.
- These, she says, are inspired by her stepfather, who was himself a writer.
- He opened the door and listened for any signs that his mother and his stepfather were awake.
- In addition, 89% of boys were living in two-parent households with their mothers and fathers or stepfathers.
- His stepfather spotted him in some bushes, and was trying to catch him when the tragedy happened.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.