In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- While he does have two daughters and three stepsons, the decades-old photograph evokes a stage of fathering that is out of date.
- Yes, I had just dropped my stepson off at school and I came back in the house.
- You know, I believe his stepson is a citizen of New Zealand, and if he hasn't gone back there, he's going back there.
- It is likely that the role model and mentoring effects of fathers are strongest for sons, and stepsons.
- He looks not at his stepson, but at his wife, and not with anger or amazement, but with what can only be described as love and devotion.
- But his son and daughter and two stepsons, the youngest of the children being 22 and oldest 28, have all flown the nest.
- They have a son, a daughter, a stepson from her previous marriage and two cats.
- He didn't have a father to bond with him because he obviously felt more for his biological child than for his stepson.
- He is married to a former model, with whom he has a son, a daughter, and a stepson from one of her three previous marriages.
- He left behind a wife, a stepson and a young daughter.
- His family are understood to have rushed to his bedside when he was told the news by another of his stepsons.
- The householder later contacted the police, saying he thought the man they were looking for was his stepson.
- And I want to thank all of our children, my stepsons and my daughters.
- His relief at his own unanimous acquittal for handling was overshadowed by his stepson's conviction.
- Married with one son and two stepsons, he has represented the brigade in a number of competitive cycling races.
- She cruelly locked her stepson in an attic room, but her own son befriended him.
- I was looking after a family: I had my first child, two tiny stepsons and my husband.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.