In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Vitamin D is a steroid produced in the skin through a reaction between cholesterol and sunlight.
- It is an important part of a healthy body, being a building block for steroids such as the sex hormones, and the hormones of the adrenal cortex.
- Little is known about the steroids associated with these structures in hagfish.
- One of the steroids it produces is cortisol, which increases the supply of glucose in the blood.
- So far, all the sex pheromones found in fish have turned out to be steroids and prostaglandins.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.