In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A stethoscope and blood pressure cuff served as the primary monitoring tools.
- For example, the doctor may listen to the patient's chest with a stethoscope, to determine how well the airways are working.
- They have no ears to listen through the stethoscope, and no hands to hold the knife.
- Your doctor will also listen to the baby's chest with a stethoscope.
- Make sure the earpieces are turned slightly forward on your stethoscope so that the earpieces fit securely in your ears.
- Pressing his stethoscope to her chest the father concludes that the girl has a heart defect and proceeds to wall her off from the external world.
- One of the main injuries from a blast is air in the lungs which you have to listen to using a stethoscope.
- Signs of pulmonary congestion may also be heard though a stethoscope.
- Just give me a stethoscope and show me the way to the nearest ward!
- How can I joke with the parents of the boy playing with my stethoscope that maybe he'll be a doctor, when he won't receive a decent education?
- That doesn't mean it's serious, but a doctor definitely should put a stethoscope to the chest of any child with a persistent cough.
- In 1816, the forerunner of the modern stethoscope came to be discovered in France.
- They commented about my stethoscope and treated me with a respect and position I have not yet earned.
- He didn't need a stethoscope to hear my heart clamoring against my ribcage.
- The diagnosis of aortic regurgitation can be made using a stethoscope.
- I straightened up and pulled the stethoscope from my neck.
- Usually a heart murmur is detected by a doctor who's listening to the heart with a stethoscope during a routine exam.
- Every few inches he would tap lightly and then listen with the stethoscope.
- Tools such as stethoscopes should be cleaned regularly with a paper towel, soap and water, or an alcohol wipe.
- I knelt down by Phyllis, took out my stethoscope to establish my medical credentials, and listened knowingly to her chest.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.