In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1media femininea pair of stockings — unas medias
- the robbers were wearing stocking masks — los ladrones llevaban el rostro cubierto con medias
- A Vettriano woman wears stockings and suspenders, never tights.
- Other articles were put on, as were petticoats, stockings and fluffy under-skirts.
- She wore a gown of purple georgette, silk stockings and high-heeled shoes.
- After the corset came stockings, three petticoats, and a pure white overdress.
- A murder trial was told that she, wearing stockings and suspenders, bludgeoned him to death while her four-year-old daughter, Amy, played in the garden.
- Sexy does not have to mean stockings and suspenders or some feeble excuse for a top, with a teeny, weeny micro skirt.
- The undergarments included stockings, petticoats, drawers, and a corset.
- The short, light green dress exposed her stockings and suspenders and her long, slim legs.
- Minutes later, the silk stockings and shoes turned up at the hotel and were quickly redirected to the Register Office just in time for the ceremony.
- She was dressed in a suspender belt, stockings and wearing rubber gloves which he liked.
- He adds that the lady was wearing nylons: ‘I tried it with silk stockings, but that didn't give a good rendering at all.’
- She was by no means a classic beauty but was eager to enhance her allure with her power suits and slightly risqué conversation, which included the revelation that she wore stockings and suspender belt.
- Any woman will understand the pure sensual pleasure of silk stockings, or even just really fine denier nylon, if she has ever tried them.
- The delicate cycle, which uses a slower and gentler spin intensity, is for laundering lingerie, stockings and other garments that are normally handwashed.
- I have experimented with Suspender Tights, which are tights with all the bits cut out around the top of the leg, so that they are like stockings & suspenders all in one.
- She put it on with distaste then pulled on her pale beige silk stockings, hooking them on with garters.
- Common gifts were jewels, gloves, silk stockings, flowers, garters, handkerchiefs, and paperweights.
- Sometimes he told her to come to his home wearing stockings and suspenders.
- Women were issued a special page of coupons for one pair of fully fashioned silk stockings every six months.
- She was referring to the picture of myself dressed in a basque, stockings, suspenders and a thong that circulated on everybody's mobile phone.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.