In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(organ)estómago masculineI have an upset stomach — estoy / ando mal del estómago
- on an empty stomach — con el estómago vacío
- I've got a weak stomach — sufro del estómago
- it turns my stomach — me revuelve el estómago
- you need to have a very strong stomach to sit through one of his films — se necesita tener estómago para ver sus películas
- to be sick to one's stomach — (disgusted) estar asqueado
- to have no stomach for sth
- I've got no stomach for fried food so early in the day — no me apetece comer frituras tan temprano
- they had no stomach for an all-out strike — no se atrevieron a hacer una huelga general
- before noun stomach muscle — músculo del estómago
- Have some solid food in your stomach before drinking.
- Researchers believe that water in food empties from the stomach more slowly than water you drink, making you feel full longer.
- It may react with chemicals in food or in the stomach to form tiny amounts of cancer-causing nitrosamines.
- The biotech company intends to turn the substances into therapeutic food products to treat stomach disorders.
- The movement of gastric juices into the food pipe from the stomach is called reflux.
- This is usually due to the accumulation of food in the stomach and intestines.
- Smooth cells make up the stomach, intestine, blood vessels and other organs.
- It takes a certain time to digest, so it increases the time that food remains in the stomach, giving a feeling of comfortable satiety.
- The Chinese believe that the rice will settle the stomach after eating.
- Digestion begins in the mouth, well before food reaches the stomach.
- Gastroplasty alone can cause vomiting when even tiny amounts of food stretch the stapled stomach.
- Smoking is the most important cause, though a fondness for salt is another disturbing trend that irritates the stomach.
- She added that high-fiber food can extend the presence of food in the stomach so the sensation of being full will remain for longer.
- Some low GI foods are high in fat, as fat slows the emptying of food from the stomach.
- For most other common solid tumours such as those of lung, oesophagus, stomach, or pancreas, only limited survival gains have been achieved.
- If the muscular valve above the stomach leaks, food mixed with acid washes back, or refluxes, into the esophagus.
- The idea was that fibre fills the stomach and reduces the desire to overeat.
- Food in the stomach does not appear to alter the kinetics or behavioral effects of the medication.
- A very full stomach is uncomfortable - food stays in the stomach for two to three hours, then continues to have an effect further down the gut.
- These help prevent return of food from the stomach to the mouth.
2(belly)barriga femininepanza feminine informalguata feminine Chile informalstomachs in! chests out! — ¡adentro esa barriga! ¡saquen pecho!
- she lay on her stomach — estaba tendida boca abajo
- I stood with my hands clasped in front of my stomach nervously.
- With his fists, he punched his opponent continuously in the stomach and chest, not giving him the chance to regain his breath.
- Shallow, I know, but I had two small children then and was in mourning for my lost stomach and thighs.
- My favourite part of a guy's body is his stomach and then his chest.
- A woman who stabbed a former boyfriend three times in the stomach while high on drink and drugs has narrowly escaped a jail sentence.
- He stood in front of me, looking down at his stomach and chest.
- They then folded their hands together in front of their stomachs and stood there like statues.
- If stomach discomfort occurs after eating cold food, place something warm on the stomach such as hot towels.
- Francesca stood at a distance from him, her hands tightly clasped in front of her stomach, feeling somewhat awkward.
- Her drawn up thighs pushed hard against her stomach and chest.
- I've got a slim body but my stomach and waist are still chubby.
- Electrodes are placed on the stomach, bottom and thighs and two electrical currents switched on.
- When first learning to breathe properly, students should put their hands together in front of their stomach.
- We found an adult male trapped with mud up to his waist area with this log right here that was across his stomach and chest area.
- Furtive glances dissect her at thighs, hips, stomach, chest and face.
- I smiled at him for a second before dropping him with a hard front kick in his stomach.
- They then chased the 25-year-old victim through the house before stabbing him in the stomach and thigh.
- Instead he wrapped his arm around the front of my stomach and pulled me closer.
- They arrived to find Stephen dead on the ground with multiple stab wounds to his stomach and chest.
- He had obviously been working hard lately, as I looked at his flat, toned stomach.
2(insolence/person/insults) soportar(insults/person/insolence) aguantar
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.