In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(break in journey)parada feminine(stay) estadía feminine Latin America(stay) estancia feminine Mexico SpainAviation escala feminineduring our stopover in Dallas we made a trip out to Southfork — durante nuestra estadía en Dallas hicimos una excursión a Southfork
- we made a stopover in Rome on the way here — de camino aquí hicimos escala en Roma / pasamos por Roma
- Some of these tickets are one-way, and therefore not constrained by maximum-stay restrictions, while others are round-trips with extended stopovers.
- The airline now runs daily flights between the two cities with a transit stopover in Vancouver.
- Plan overnight stopovers in cities you'd like to explore rather than simply rolling across the countryside at night.
- The delegation will have a two-day stopover in New York en route to Haiti and a one-day stopover in Los Angeles on the return trip.
- Having being given no deadline by which they had to get themselves to Friedhold, the pair had decided to make one or two stopovers at various small towns on their way.
- The new route, which includes a brief stopover in Hong Kong, will leave twice daily every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
- They had a quick stopover in Seattle before continuing on to Beijing.
- They can also arrange car hire and tailor-make itineraries, including stopovers at various US cities.
- After making a short stopover in a Nigerian city, we reached Timbuktu on 24 February 1999.
- However, there is no judging of films for her this time; she is busy doing a world tour with stopovers at New York and Toronto.
- The boats are actually floating five-star hotels and make stopovers at historical spots up the river.
- A number of good motels and hotels offer accommodation for a stopover, and there is a good choice of restaurants and cafes.
- We landed for a stopover at London Stansted two hours later.
- It's comforting to have friendly faces together with invaluable local knowledge when it comes to possible stopovers in new destinations on overseas travels.
- There are stopovers in exotic places including the Galapagos Islands and Mauritius.
- His one visit was a brief stopover in Italy to visit his daughter while she was studying there.
- Yes, if you break one of these US laws you might find yourself arrested and thrown in jail next time you travel to or enjoy a stopover at a US destination.
- The whole group is in a buoyant mood, with plenty to distract us from the thought of the long flight home tomorrow, with the long stopover in Kuala Lumpur en route.
- It's difficult to appreciate the unique flavour of the place in a quick stopover between train and boat.
- They both enjoy trekking, but are looking for a trip that would also incorporate plenty of sightseeing and allow for stopovers in local towns and villages.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.