In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One especially exciting bathroom included replicas of old bottles with genuine antique stoppers made of silver and fashioned into old-time designs.
- Lillia stood up and put a glass stopper in the oil bottle.
- We used to break old soda water bottles to get at the marbles which were used as stoppers in these bottles.
- The range covers everything from salt shakers to duvets, wine bottle stoppers to flagpoles for your garden, bowler hats to toilet seats and rubber ducks.
- He began saving cork stoppers from bottles of wine drunk by his parents, then began collecting them from bars and restaurants in his home town.
- There were two jugs, sealed with wooden stoppers.
- Many parts of the Mediterranean are facing an environmental crisis as wine makers stop using traditional cork stoppers for their wine bottles.
- The only real modern improvement upon the process has been in the area of storage; corks seal bottles better than fired-clay stoppers.
- The heavy dark green bottle with the marble stopper has caught the fancy of several collectors, particularly foreign tourists frequenting the beach resorts in the capital city.
- In 1999, according to government figures, bottle stoppers accounted for 71 per cent of cork exports by value.
- Their contents were sealed with tiny stoppers, protected beneath gold, silver-gilt or silver screw caps resembling sewing thimbles.
- Packaged in a graduated green bottle and a black stopper, this is an elegant fragrance for either women or men.
- The scents were kept in glass or crystal bottles with glass stoppers ornamented with silver, gold, or other metals.
- The increasing use of plastic stoppers in wine bottles is threatening the wildlife which relies upon the cork producing regions of Spain and Portugal.
- Engraved wine glasses or bottle stoppers would nicely complement the wedding gift.
- She nodded and let him have another swallow of whiskey before she took it from his unresisting fingers and shoved the stopper back into the bottle.
- Marie shredded the book's pages, enclosed the shreds within gel capsules, put the capsules inside a glass druggist's bottle, and sealed the bottle with a cork stopper.
- Flooring manufacturers get cork tissue from post-industrial materials - leftovers from the production of bottle stoppers.
- She took the stopper out of the bottle and placed it on the small table next to the stumpy candle.
- It also comes in a squat Victorian apothecary-style bottle with cork stopper.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.