In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Someone has to start the stopwatch and someone has to stop it.
- The physician uses a stopwatch or a wristwatch with a second hand to time this activity.
- The chip, which is attached to the person's trainer, would scrap the need for stopwatches and ensure the 13-mile run goes smoothly.
- They trained from scratch over the last six months and, according to their own stopwatches, finished in two hours and 31 minutes.
- If you train with a partner, have him time you with a stopwatch, help you count off reps at the right speed and keep you in your window.
- His trainer, I presumed, since he was the only other person out here, was standing close by and held a stopwatch in his hand.
- Use either the manual selection on the cardio machine so you have a time clock or use a stopwatch of your own.
- He runs two 40-yard dashes, and the scouts huddle to compare their stopwatches.
- Mack produced three of the working stopwatches from his pocket and held them out to Emma and Wyatt who took them in their hands carefully.
- When Megan hears the sound to start the race, she starts the stopwatch she holds in her hand.
- Pedometers, which look like stopwatches or pagers, have become popular tools for keeping track of steps and promoting moderate exercise.
- The teacher fished out a stopwatch from her shorts' pocket and gave the signal to go.
- We called the first three breakdown services simultaneously, and with stopwatches running waited for the tow trucks to arrive.
- I had accidentally stopped my stopwatch so didn't know how much time I had taken, so I really wanted to push myself to get the best time possible.
- But stopwatches have become so sophisticated that scouts can clock times to hundredths of a second.
- The timer eliminated the need for a stopwatch and enabled participants to start at their leisure.
- They've got stopwatches to make sure we don't exceed time limits, and it's much more athletic than it was.
- Many years ago, a young parent picked up a stopwatch to time her child's race at a recreation league meet.
- A straightforward extension in the method of using stopwatches is the use of electronic timers, pneumatic tubes or other event recorders to automate the event-recording process.
- There are stopwatches and timing systems everywhere.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.