In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Extremely cautious birds, black storks only nest in old forests far from humans.
- The black stork, black vulture, and endangered Spanish imperial eagle, of which only 130 pairs remain worldwide, are among the 42 species of birds that depend on the cork woodlands.
- Other migratory birds observed in the shallow waters were bar headed geese, open bill storks, northern pintails, gadwalls, curlews, black tailed godwits, spoonbills, green shanks, red shanks and so on.
- Forest wagtails, fly catchers, black crested buzzard, open billed storks and egrets are some of the migratory birds one can sight at the Guindy National Park during winter.
- Although storks are wading birds, they usually nest in trees.
- Both sexes of white storks and black kites look alike, so gender was determined by molecular procedures using DNA extracted from the cellular fraction of a few drops of blood.
- Today, Igor still traipses through swamps - with me in tow - searching for black storks in the reserve, where we both volunteer part-time.
- The bird life is exquisite, and we saw saddle-billed storks, black vultures, ground hornbills and a number of eagles, among others.
- Although kingfishers, bee eaters, storks, dragonflies, mosquitoes and ants are all part of his photographic repertoire, the wary hoopoe has been dodging his lens for years.
- Jacanas, plover and a variety of storks foraged amongst the tall reeds at the river's edge.
- Today, thanks to the efforts of white stork enthusiasts throughout the bird's European range, the white stork populations are stabilizing and in some areas even recovering.
- In the next decade, Igor would find a hundred black stork nests and observe as many as 24 breeding pairs a year - more than the number of black storks in all of France.
- The European white stork has a red bill and legs and is regarded as a good omen.
- The carcasses of ospreys, white-tailed sea eagles, deer, black and white storks and herons are also being found.
- These forests are home to rare animals like the black stork, vultures and the Spanish Imperial eagle who depend on the rich diversity of these cork oak forests.
- They are generally considered among the raptors, yet DNA studies show New World vultures to be ancestrally more closely related to storks.
- Hunan is home to a variety of rare animals such as the South China tiger, the white stork and the sheldrake, which are protected in the national reserve areas.
- Roughly 10 per cent of the country's rare black storks will be made homeless.
- It is an important wintering ground for European migratory birds such as the white stork, the lesser kestrel, the Eurasian golden oriole, the Eurasian cuckoo and other wading birds.
- During their visit to the park, the children were amazed at the size of the storks and Sarus Cranes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.