In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1marejada ciclónica feminine
- While the winds were not as high, the storm surge actually exceeded Camille considerably.
- Just how much damage depends, of course, on the size of the storm surge that comes ashore with Rita.
- Of 19 cyclone-related deaths in Mackay, most drowned in the storm surge.
- Above, residents survey damage caused by the hurricane and its storm surge.
- My mother insists the storm was so fierce a tidal wave came ashore, not just a storm surge.
- The storm's impending landfall has sent millions of people inland to escape fierce winds and a deadly storm surge.
- That's where the storm surge and the winds are going to be strongest.
- A storm surge is primarily caused by the wind pushing the sea towards the coast, but can also be coupled with low air pressure.
- The real challenge for us would be to handle any kind of a storm surge or any hurricane that came close to the city.
- Yet this storm, even though it's weaker, will have a larger storm surge because its circulation is much bigger.
- Many of the victims were killed by the accompanying storm surge.
- The storm was accompanied by an extraordinary storm surge, with water levels metres above normal, and also by huge waves.
- These winds caused a storm surge and extensive wave action.
- A storm surge at high tide destroyed the dukes and killed more than 1800 people.
- We're going to have to deal with the storm surge, the wind and the rainfall throughout this event.
- The right front quadrant contains the highest storm surge, the strongest winds.
- On the foreshore at Beachmere, the storm surge deposited boats in tree-tops.
- We have this concern at the coast for the storm surge and the winds, but we have just as great a concern inland for some very heavy rain.
- And we're going to have to talk about the hazard, the storm surge, the winds and the rainfall.
- Hurricanes can bring destruction on an unimaginable scale, and most of the devastation is caused by the storm surge that often occurs with a hurricane.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.